displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Breathing heavy
darrengti

Regular

Post #1
When I first got the Rallye I removed the open K&N and found the inlet pipe before the throttle body covered in quite a bit of oil. I cleaned up the throttle body and put on my Viper and 90 degree silicone bend.

Tonight I was under the car and noticed that the filter was again begin to get soaked with oil.

It doesnt really appear to be using a huge amount of oil, I've only had it a month, but my old '6 never had any issues in this area.

What are the causes of heavy breating and is it a potentially terminal problem if not dealt with? Could I just put a breather on the hose going to the inlet pipe to stop the oil being recirculated into the engine?

Thanks Darren
Posted 9th Mar 2010 at 00:05
cooper666

Senior User

Post #2
oil catch tank on the breather probably best idea

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 9th Mar 2010 at 00:19
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #3
Possible worn piston rings would be one of my guesses......

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 9th Mar 2010 at 05:45
matt306gti

Post #4
Mine is doing the same thing mate, although not so severe, and is causing the MAP sensor to get clogged up with oil.. loosing power as a result Sad

I think both of us need an oil catch tank ftw Smile
Posted 9th Mar 2010 at 06:55
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
These engines as standard should have enough breathing. I haven't been running a catch tank on mine and it has been running 380bhp without a breathing issue.

If they are breathing heavy there is a fault somewhere else which is causing this. Yes

A catch tank is a way out of it, but you are avoiding the problem this way rather than solving it....

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2010 at 12:12
darrengti

Regular

Post #6
stan_306gti6 wrote:

If they are breathing heavy there is a fault somewhere else which is causing this. Yes

A catch tank is a way out of it, but you are avoiding the problem this way rather than solving it....

Stan.

Thats probably the route I'll go down though, a catch tank on fleabay is about
Posted 10th Mar 2010 at 19:36