displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: BIG PROBLEM NEED HELP NOW GUYS!! Keeps dropping to 3 cylinders
jonnyenglish358

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Ok if i take my 6 out from cold everthing seems fine then if i stop and get back in say ten mins later ocassionaly when i started the car it will be running on 3 cylinders and the engine management light comes on. after a few minutes of driving on 3 of the best it will suddenly go back to normal and after a few secs the management light will go off?? the above took place a few months ago. now it does this most of the time (when warm) so i took it to the garage that did my head after the cambelt snapped and they said that its one of the cables on the spark plugs having a loose connection?? this to me seems strange as surely it would do it from cold aswell?? could it be the coil packs??

any help much appreciated!!

thanks

jon

Edit: ok so im driving along and i suddenly notice that the heat of the engine is in the red im about 2 mins from home and the dash tells me to stop so i pulled over (turnt off the engine lifted the bonnet) waited 10 mins and it went back to 90 i drive the rest of the way home with the heaters on (no hot air what so ever only cold) coasting as much as i can but the heat still rises fairly quickly keeping in mind that it cooled rapidly (coolant/water was boiling) when i got back i lifted the bonnet and felt the radiator which was hot one side and cold the other im thinking please be a blocked radiator (i tried letting the air out and there was quite a bit and it didnt stop coming out just kept bubbling note this was when the engine had cooled) but then i think im fooling myself and its actually the headgasket. theres no milky residue on the oil cap and no oil in the coolant/water and to what i can tell no water in the exhaust fumes??

thank for your help!!

a worried jon

P.S this is my longest thread wooo!! cant wait for the

Team Diablo, just gone over 100k and died!!
Team Hi 5
Xbox gamer tag: Jonni English
Posted 2nd Mar 2010 at 03:22
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Coil pack is a possibility. If you can get it to do it again, unplug coil packs one at a time and see which one makes no difference to how it runs.

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 1st Mar 2010 at 22:33
jonnyenglish358

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
BUMP!

Team Hi 5
Posted 2nd Mar 2010 at 03:23
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #4
Coilpack i would say Smile
Posted 2nd Mar 2010 at 03:25
jonnyenglish358

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
what even for the edit text??

Team Hi 5
Posted 2nd Mar 2010 at 03:28
dented_vts

Regular

Post #6
go to an mot place and get them to test what gases are coming out the coolant tank/rad.
Posted 2nd Mar 2010 at 03:36
dans16

Regular

Post #7
i had same problems as you describing in you edit it turned out to be the theomostat but rest i ant got clue

234 BHP TB RALLYE
¼ mile 13.9

MY PROJECT THREAD
Posted 2nd Mar 2010 at 03:41
rikky 🦔

Post #8
start with cheapest things first. whip thermostat out, inspect the seal, see if it opens when you drop it into a pan of boiling water

you could have a seized thermostat

if it's not opening, replace it and re-bleed

if it DOES open, flush coolant and refill/rebleed and start again

if it has gone into the red for a long time and it wasn't a thermostat issue you may have baked something

pressure and coolant systems do not lie easily with me though

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 2nd Mar 2010 at 04:00
jonnyenglish358

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Ok i took it to the garage that did the Head and cambelt and they've said its the headgasket. this is good kinda as they only changed it 18 months ago so he said that its no longer under warranty from the company which is 12 months or 12k miles and there coming to have a look if it turns out its the head gasket and its not my fault(as there was no water or whatever) then they will give us all the headgasket and bolts for free and the machanic said he would fit it for

Team Hi 5
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 00:07
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
waited 10 mins and it went back to 90 i drive the rest of the way home with the heaters on (no hot air what so ever only cold)

The above bit you mentioned sounds like a problem i had ages ago, and it turned out to be just air in the heater matrix....bled it and all was fine after that.

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 06:22