displaying posts 1 to 25 of 549

Pages (22): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: andys reborn 6
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
i wanted a brand new 6 and seen as the one i have has 126k miles and was still in extremely good condition:
i decided to keep her and just renew the whole suspension eg to freshen it up, anyway i got a bit carried away.
i started buying and collecting parts a long time ago, i couldnt see the benefit in fitting them one by one as and when i could afford it, so i just saved them and kept buying. the clutch then went so i took the car off the road and it started there, the car has been on axle stands for over a year, the neighbnours must think im an idiot polishing a car thats got no wheels on!!
i want to go and start doing some trackdays in the car but still wanted to use it on the road from time to time, so i decided on the following suspension setup:
1: bilstein b8 front shocks and b6 rears
2: eibach 30mm pro springs
3: hybrid rear arb
4: estate tosion bars 21mm i think they are
5: solid rear beam mounts
6: richw solid roller bearing wishbone bushes
7: top mounts, arb bushes, balljoints, track rod ends, bump stops eg all replaced for genuine peugeot parts.
8: rear beam rebuild
9: all nuts and bolts replaced with new from peugeot.
10: new driveshafts both sides, from ecp and gsf.

well after getting the gearbox off i noticed that there was a small oil leak that looks like it comes from the crank seal, but its actually from the last crank bearing cap, so the sump came off also so that could be fixed:

a nice new seal was fitted to the bearing/crank carrier and a new crank seal from pug, i gave the sump a good clean up and refitted:

then set about fitting a few other bits around that area like the group n gear rods, a new fulcrom/rubber ball for the gear linbkage and a lightened flywheel!!

before the gearbox went back on i thought i would sort the bit of rust out on the p/s engine bay inner wing and bulkhead and a bit in the corner near the sill from where the underseal had been marked from a jack.
i taped off all the surrounding area, and i cleaned up with a wire brush in a cordless drill then followed by the rust treatment called bilt hammer gel:

did the paint work with primer then a stone chip then the original moonstone, you cant even tell its been done barelyi did a real good job but cant find the pics so will take more.
gearbox is fitted back in with a standard valeo clutch, group n mount, new fork bushes, driveshaft seals, the seal that goes on the splined shaft that fits through the clutch was changed (sorry forgot its name), clutch cable replaced and a new clutch fork was used as i had to bend the arm to remove the gearbox and it comes as a kit with the arm eg.
i turned my attentions to the other side of the engine bay and removed the cambelt and tensioner eg, water pump, aux belt tensioner and roller.
i suspected the little tank near the water pump to be leaking so removed that also to inspect the hose and fit a new seal.
thermostat was removed for a new one, i then decided i was going to get some bits tidied and painted up while it was in bits.
i removed both cam covers and front carrier, the thermostat housing and the fuel rail, after removing the fuel rail i noticed a plactic cap missing so that was an excuse to remove the inlet for painting also!!
all the bits were cleaned thouroughly with a wire brush bit in a drill again:

to save the process pics heres a few finished ones:

i decided on a mattalic dark silver from a lamborgini for the fuel rail:

fitted the cam carriers with new camshaft seals, the cariers were sealed with the same stuff as the sump, i got it from pug but i bet its way cheaper elsewhere:
refitted the cam covers, then the thermostat housing and popped a new thermostat in there.
the little tank near the water pump that i removed was refitted with a new seal and a new pipe, there was nothing wrong with them, it would of just been silly to not change them for the price, and i dont want any problems later on,

old water pump looks a bit manky:

ne pump fitted, new cambelt and 137 kit (what came up for my reg on computer at dealer).
a rich w lightened crank pulley was used and then a new aux belt and uprated tensioner and roller was used. throttle body removed and cleaned, new gasket fitted then inlet manifold is refitted with a ptfe inlet gasket and stainless steel bolts, a new boscsh tps and map sensor are also fitted at the same time:

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 01:50
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
i decided to help the new look with a carbon spark plug cover and a new oil cap as the old one was leaking a bit, also using all new stainless steel bolts:

a deisel calcium battery from halfords was fitted along with a nice new battery tray lid from pug as mine was missing.
the lambda was changed for a new bosch one.
the upper and lower engine mounts were changed for the group n solid rubber ones.

lots lots more to continue, thats enough typing for me tonight!

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 25th Feb 2010 at 18:17
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
wow top work mate , what a transformation the engine bay looks Love

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 25th Feb 2010 at 23:28
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #4
Top JOB! Thumbs up
I take it you changed the cam belt yourself Andy?
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 04:05
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Excellent thread Andy Yes

Keep the updates coming Thumbs up

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 00:02
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Phew... what a good thread, excellent approach, quality tech and good bling. More please! Love

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 00:24
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Looks nice.

The oil leak you fixed - I think mine maybe leaking from the same place is this a difficult job to do?

Is the carrier like a hockey stick shaped piece of metal that bolts it?

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 00:49
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
thanks for the replys, its nice to know people think im doing a good job as the expense thats gone into this is immense, theres been loads of small things replaced thats not been mentioned eg seals, gaskets, clutch cable, antifreeze and more, and ive put lots of time into this car, ive spent more time thinking and planning it witch has passed on many boring times!
here is a couple of pics of the spray work i did:
the lumpy bits are there from the factory its underseal/stonechip??

i will get some more of the underbonnet area.

happy enough with whats been done so far, i removed the wishbones and ball joints, arb bushes, droplinks, track rod ends, full suspension strut and the brakes and anything else ive forgot to mention!!
the front end of the car was all nice, tight and firm but if im going to build a brand new 6 then its got to be brand new!!
so i started with this:

and refitted bilstein b8`s with eibach springs using new genuine top mounts.
had a crazy moment in pug and ordered new wishbones, it felt a bit wrong burning out the brand new bushes that came on them, but hey out with the old and in with the new so i refitted the wishbones with richw solid roller bearing bushes and genuine ball joints, dave on here posted me some 45 degree grease nipples for these and its well easy to get a large grease gun with a non flexi pipe on them.
i fitted the new track rod ends and new arb bushes that i got from pug but after getting some lemforder droplinks from ecp i realised i had tightened the arb bushes up with the roll bar in the wrong place, so these cam off and i got them on properly this time, when it was wrong it was very hard to get a bolt far enough through the arb bush carrier to get it started with the nut.
after putting the arb in the right position the bolts went straight through easily, there is bumps in the arb bush and a dent on the arb that has to line up with each other, you also need to be careful that the arb bush is fitted in the carrier properly.
tightened these up then fitted the new lemforder droplinks( that will now be geting removed on 0 miles for some philipbling ones).
arb bushes:

top mounts, i took these apart before fitting and packed them full of grease:

i replaced the driveshaft hockey stick bolts as the old ones were like bannanas, all the nuts bolts was new from pug but i didnt use the bolts that hold the shocker to the hub as i couldnt get the buggers out!!
the driveshafts have barely covered 500 miles so i will be keeping these, i got them from gsf and ecp not long ago.
I decided on the standard brakes but using these ebc discs:

Ferrodo ds2500 pads and braided brake lines, i got some powder coated refurbed calipers from carl, and i ended up having another crazy moment at pug and buying a new master cylinder that i didnt need!
heres the result:

then i noticed the plastic worm gear thing that should be in the speedo sensor housing!!! it was in the garage, so off comes the d/s driveshaft and the worm thing is fitted with a new rubber o ring seal for the housing!

like a noob i rounded off the d/s brake pipe union nut fitting the braided pipes so i got a length made up and bent it to fit:

this was leaking after refitting so i took it back apart and noticed the dozy twats had put the wrong unions on, they were about 3mm shorter!!
i got the correct unions fited somewhere different and reffitted it,and bled the system using halfors racing dot 4 fluid.
after having it started up and giving her a rev i can proper tell the advantage over the lightened flywheel and liughtened crank pulley!

this is the crank end cap, the hockey stick seals is the rubber thing going down it, i wasnt sure wether it was just sealent or what, but its a seal and they cost feck all from pug, 1 each side:

its not a hard job to do it but it is a proper major one, gearbox off, sump off.
if it wasnt for this site i wouldnt of been able to do this no where near as easily, everything ive needed to know is from whats on here, the decisions on what parts to use and all the advice like the hockey stick seals!

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 27th Feb 2010 at 23:54
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
oh can anybosy give me the part number for the metal bracket that bolts on the shocker and holds the abs wiring, pad sensor plug and holds the brake flexi in place??
as min has snapped off where it bends for the flexi

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 01:41
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
top work so far, keep it coming Thumbs up

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 01:45
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
What a good thread mate top work!
I think i have seen this being driven before it was taken off the road driving through langold?

Looks like it will be one awesome 6 now mate Thumbs up

Team Astor Grey Supercharged GTI 6

Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 01:49
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #12
Looking good mate Thumbs up
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 01:50
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
andy+katie wrote:
oh can anybosy give me the part number for the metal bracket that bolts on the shocker and holds the abs wiring, pad sensor plug and holds the brake flexi in place??
as min has snapped off where it bends for the flexi

4547 54 - Bracket left
4547 55 - Bracket right

Theres also one of each of these per side:
4547 53 - Bracket
4547 72 - Bracket

I think they are the ones you're after, best to check with someone else though (...welshpug?)

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 02:08
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
My only worry is you may make this too good to drive. No No

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 02:07
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
jcphat wrote:

yeah i was thinking of starting to check the weather forcast before using it!!

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 02:09
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Get you lower rear engine mount changed for a powerflex oneWink

Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 02:41
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
ive put a bakerbm group n solid hard rubber one in there and changed the other little bush that goes there for a new pug one.

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 03:10
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
so is it necessary to take the gearbox of to get to that hockey stick seal?

Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 03:12
jamesgti6

Regular

Post #19
Yummie i want this motor

Team Manstone
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 03:12
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
darkgti6 wrote:
so is it necessary to take the gearbox of to get to that hockey stick seal?
yes mate im pretty certain it is, put it this way if it can be done with the gearbox in place its probably better and easier to take it off anyway.

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 03:30
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
andy+katie wrote:
jcphat wrote:

yeah i was thinking of starting to check the weather forcast before using it!!

But then you don't get the fun of cleaning everything again! Looking very good fella - keep up the good work Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 14:19
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
top work mate, i have had my engine apart cleaning it up the same as this when i was replacing the bent conrod LOL

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 19:47
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Very smart, top marks Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 21:09
china_306 Banned!

Post #24
excellent Smile
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 21:17
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Looking smart Andy, keep it up. Thumbs up

O/T: how much did your new TPS cost you?

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 22:05

Pages (22): [1] 2 3 .. last