displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: Coolant pipe layout
paulchin

Junior User

Post #1
Hi, not sure where to post this so guessed at engines!

Can someone describe (or better show?) the layout of the coolant pipes on a 6 please? Having fitted a 6 exhaust manifold to my XSi, I now need to also fit the water pump union to the bottom back face of the block, plus replace the metal pipe that runs along the back face of the block into one of the heater pipes going into the bulkhead.

However, the XSi metal pipe is just that - a hole at each end, whilst the 6 one I have has a spur coming off it. I am therefore wondering what the layout is on a 6, as my XSi seems quite simple - i.e. from bottom of radiator to water pump union, into heater, back out of heater into thermostat, then from thermostat into top radiator hose and back to the start. (There is another large hose coming off the stat down the front face of the block, but can't quite remember now where that terminates.)

Short term, I think I just need to blank off the spur on the 6 metal heater pipe (any ideas?) but longer term, it might be less of a bodge to connect it properly. I seem to remember a small spur pipe coming off a 6 radiator on the driver's side - is this something to do with it?

Hope someone can help - I have tried the search on here to no avail, and the web for a layout but again no joy. I should think someone on here must know at least where the pipes go and in what order.

Thanks - look forward to getting this car back on the road again! Then at least I can get an exhaust shop to stop it from blowing - grrr...

PS - planning to replace said union and pipe this Saturday. Should be fun, as the new Ordonez rad I put in not long ago doesn't actually have a drain plug Shock . Looks like I'll be manually draining via the bottom hose connection then Sad
Posted 24th Feb 2010 at 18:54
garry

Regular

Post #2
We run the converted 205's as you have described in 'the simple method'.

I have removed the solid metal pipe and just run the coolant from the distribution block to the heater, then out to the stat housing. I have a spur off the pipe between the heater and stat pipe running to the header tank.

205 GTI6 S
Posted 24th Feb 2010 at 19:43