displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Cooling fan on constantly..high speed!!
yido

Post #1
Hi guys.....firstly i want to say i've searched the forum but not found anyone having had quite the same issue..

Basically my driver side fan has started coming on the whole time when the engine is on regardless of engine temp...the fan appears to be on high speed all the time. I have looked and the passenger side fan isn't spinning at all. I have a 97' phase 2 gti 6 with air con (doesn't work). I have removed the 2 green relays at the front and cleaned them up (they looked fine with no water/dampness)... when the drivers side one is out the fan doesnt come on at all, but as soon as i put it in it comes on again....I've switched the relays round and the same happens.
Now i dont know if its a problem with the relays or something to do with the other fan not spinning, or if its the Bitron unit (believe in passenger wheel arch) which i haven't checked yet..
I have checked the fuses by the battery and these are fine.
Can anyone suggest what this is likely to be please as i'm getting cold and wet trying to go through everything, so want to eliminate the most likely first....
Thanks in advance guys as i always get a good response on here...Smile
Posted 23rd Feb 2010 at 02:14
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
its the brown plug,

unplug it , clean and put back.

solved the problem on mine Thumbs up

edit; that should solve the speed issue, im not sure about getting both fans to run.
Posted 23rd Feb 2010 at 02:19
yido

Post #3
I disconnected the brown plug and cleaned it and put back but made no difference.....maybe i need to clean it better...Is this the brown plug thats in a row of 3 to the right of the engine block??? i think its connected to the coolant housing/hose attached to the block????
Posted 23rd Feb 2010 at 02:27
cooper666

Senior User

Post #4
passenger fan probably given up the ghost had this fault on a d turbo. 1 fan on constantly turned out to be corosion on briton unit wiring plug.To test if both fans are working disconect brown plug with engine running and see if both fans come on at high speed.Yes its the brown plug out of the 3 on thermostat.

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 23rd Feb 2010 at 02:57
Joep

Regular

Post #5
Sorry for blowing the dust of this topic, but when my 6'er was picked up for the repaint, I noticed that both fans were on high speed when the engine was started.

Will this be a corroded brown plug issue, or a bitron issue?

And what if I just let them run on high speed? Cannot do any damage, can it? Better than not running at all.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 8th Jun 2017 at 15:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
could be any of the things you mentioned, needs investigation.

I would not leave it, it has been known for cars to catch fire from ignored electrical faults.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Jun 2017 at 15:12
Joep

Regular

Post #7
Thanks for the quick response.

I will have a look at it when my car returns. We have a "Peugeot GTI wizzard" in the Netherlands, I will ask him to have a look at it as well. He knows my car for a longer time than I do Smile

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 8th Jun 2017 at 15:17