displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Cooling fans misbehaving
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
I've scoured dozens of threads to find a definitive answer but can't find a problem quite like mine.

I don't think my radiator cooling fans are working properly. The car is a P3 six - so has the twin set-up.

It's my understanding that when the engine is left to run up to 97 degrees Celsius, both the fans will kick in on low speed until the temperature reaches about 90 degrees. After having a look at mine today I've seen that only the left fan (looking at the front of the car) is coming on at this low speed. It does still bring the coolant temp down to 90 as it should though, which is reassuring at least.
I'm sure I've read that, to test the high speed operation of both fans, you should unplug the connector from the brown temp sensor on the thermostat housing. I tried this and both fans started working on high speed - and brought the engine temp right down past 90 degrees rapidly and effectively!

I'm assuming the actual fan motor on the right-hand fan is working OK as it's spinning up perfectly on the high speed circuit.

So, what would cause it not to run on the low speed setting, considering the left fan does operate as it should? There are various relays on the fan housing it would seem, could one of these be broken? Is there a way of swapping them around to identify a dud one?
Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 21:01
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
have you tried swapping the wiring round to see that it behaves in the same manner?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 21:11
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #3
When you say wiring, do you mean there's an individual feed to each fan? I've not looked that closely.
Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 21:16
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
yes there is, but you will most likely need to get hte bumper off etc and pretty much the fans too. Its the back part that connects the power to the motors on the fans.

give them a swap round to see if its either the fans or the wiring to them Smile

Team allesclar ®

Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 21:17
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #5
But considering that the right fan works OK on high speed, surely this means the 12v feed is alright?
Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 21:23
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
could do, although motors are funny, they can work at all current ranges, or only work when the maximum current is applied.

unlikely though, it could be the plug on the other end perhaps?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 21:26
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #7
Is it the case that there's different voltages applied to the fans to achieve the 2 different speeds do you know? If so I suppose this could be something to look at...
Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 21:31