displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Strut Spring Compressor
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Evening all.

I've recently been fitting new shocks and springs to my '6 and I've been using the traditional spring compressors which were a PITA and I just didn't feel happy using them.

I recently had a demonstration of how a Strut Spring Compressor works from a friend of a friend and I was really impressed at how easy it was to take apart/rebuild the dampers, it literally took a few minutes to do both dampers compared to the amount of time it takes to do one with the normal spring compressors.

I need to rebuild my dampers again in the next few days and I'm seriously tempted to invest in one.

What I want to know is if anyone has any recommendations about which ones are good and which ones aren't up to scratch.

Any recommendations on where to get them from?

I would also be interested in hiring/renting one for a few days if that is something that is available?

I found this one on MachineMart.co.uk. It doesn't cost as much as I thought it would, but then again I have no idea if it's any good though?

Any constructive opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thumbs up

Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 04:02
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
We have that one in our garage and its good, does everything really, although ive got a portable 1 that works same as this but you just buzz it with a buzz gun, will try find a pic like

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 04:22
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
you get these, easy to use, clicky

this is same as what ive got,[http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sykes-Pickavant-Heavy-Duty-Coil-Spring-Compressor_W0QQitemZ160324435504QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item255414be30]clicky[/url] its great like as you can take it anywhere, bit expensive tho, the one in the workshop is great aswell tho as long as you have somewhere to bolt it to.

In my garage just now

& Audi Q5 S Line
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 04:40
fletch

Track Head

Post #4
Must admit I would have loved one but figured I did the job so rarely an extra hour or twos work wasn't worth the investment.
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 14:10
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Does anyone know if you can easily hire one like the one I linked to in my first post?
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 15:37
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
no as there ment to be fixed to the ground securly.

In my garage just now

& Audi Q5 S Line
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 18:58
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Can this type of compressor be used with the spring already on the damper? The description doesn't make it very clear?

Is that the type you use Chris? How easy is it to use with the spring already on the damper?
Posted 13th Feb 2010 at 22:24
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
to be honest if you are going to spend that money on a machine you'll use once in a blue moon then I'd just get the springs removed at a local garage who'll probably charge you "not alot" for the service!
Posted 13th Feb 2010 at 22:27
jonnyboy17

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
jim01uk wrote:
to be honest if you are going to spend that money on a machine you'll use once in a blue moon then I'd just get the springs removed at a local garage who'll probably charge you "not alot" for the service!

x2

that does look a good bit of kit, similar to what i used to use in the workshop, makes the job so much easier.. BUT

the amount of space it takes up for what it does, how it needs to be mounted (fixed securely, etc), and the price of it, is all toomuch IMO for the amount of use it will get..

you need to be using it a few times a week to be worth it.

Team Dirty Black... Formerly Known as Astor

sharland wrote:
When women don't behave like they do on brazzers.com in real life it disappoints me.

rikky wrote:

the day i own a credit card is the day i saw my helmet off and fire it from a potato cannon
Posted 13th Feb 2010 at 23:24
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
You only need it on the passsenger side anyway if you want to take them off Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Feb 2010 at 02:46