displaying posts 1 to 25 of 25

Author Subject: Handbrake not holding... surprise surprise!
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi folks, ok, so had a look through a few threads but not really sure what to do.

I had a cable snap last year, I changed it (later having it pointed out that it would have made sense to do both of them, but still haven't gotten around to doing it, so unless this is the problem I'll probably do it at a later date).

I also changed the rear disks and pads last year, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to look for now.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 23:15
jonnyboy17

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
adjust the handbrake? using the adjuster near the handbrake lever?

Team Dirty Black... Formerly Known as Astor

sharland wrote:
When women don't behave like they do on brazzers.com in real life it disappoints me.

rikky wrote:

the day i own a credit card is the day i saw my helmet off and fire it from a potato cannon
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 23:21
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Sorry, completely forgot to mention that I did that today and it doesn't appear to have made any difference at all (my dad lives on a very steep hill and my handbrake is having none of it!).

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 23:24
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
rear discs covered in rust perchance? most likely to be a seized load compensator meaning the rear calipers are ineffective, possibly a bit sticky.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 23:39
condieboy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Mine failed it's MOT on the handbrake because the load compensator was seized. Yes

Ecosse Dyno Day 31/10/09
175.2Bhp & 149lb/ft Big grin
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 23:42
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Take the handbrake off. Take your rear brakes apart, clean the pistons, grease the sliders and the piston. wind back in..

Pump them out and then pull the handbrake lever. If this doesn't work then you have more sinister isuses.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 23:43
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
tvrfan007 wrote:
Take the handbrake off. Take your rear brakes apart, clean the pistons, grease the sliders and the piston. wind back in..

Pump them out and then pull the handbrake lever. If this doesn't work then you have more sinister isuses.

Cheers mate, is this to correct the load compensator as welshpug and condieboy have said?

Will get my mate to give me a hand, brakes are one of those things I wouldn't want to f*ck up on!
Laugh my ass off

Thank you all for the input, I'll let you know how I get on (and no doubt need to pick your brains again)! Thumbs up

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 23:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
naah what condieboy said only re-sets the brake pads/self adjust pistons and makes sure the calipers are a-ok

with the compensator get a set of grips on the lever and wiggle it as you douse it in wd40, graphite penetrating oil or grease or anything squirty lube wise Smile

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 00:12
jonnyboy17

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
cheers boys.. this has helped me a bit toooo Smile LOL

got a slightly sticky caliper, and slightly sticky handbrake... occasionally... so shall give it all a rebuild and regrease Thumbs up

Team Dirty Black... Formerly Known as Astor

sharland wrote:
When women don't behave like they do on brazzers.com in real life it disappoints me.

rikky wrote:

the day i own a credit card is the day i saw my helmet off and fire it from a potato cannon
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 00:14
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
naah what condieboy said only re-sets the brake pads/self adjust pistons and makes sure the calipers are a-ok

with the compensator get a set of grips on the lever and wiggle it as you douse it in wd40, graphite penetrating oil or grease or anything squirty lube wise Smile

I presume thats the lever that the handbrake cable pulls?

Cheers mate!Wink

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 00:50
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
On the drivers side is a spring attached with a bar. This is worse than useless when its seized and is what mei is talking about.

I'll look for a pic on here...
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 00:56
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #12
what Gilesy wsayd Yes I can picture the picture in my heid too, a fantastically graphic accurate rendition it was too.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 01:03
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
gilesy wrote:
On the drivers side is a spring attached with a bar. This is worse than useless when its seized and is what mei is talking about.

Where am I looking mate?

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 06:12
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
bonzo wrote:
gilesy wrote:

Where am I looking mate?

Take a look behind the rear drivers side wheel, you will see a big spring as part of a mechanism that connects with all the brake stuff, thats your brake compensator Thumbs up However i wouldnt have thought this would be giving you handbrake issues, the handbrake should work as required with the compensator completely removed i would have thought Unsure

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 14:33
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
rallyestyle wrote:
bonzo wrote:
gilesy wrote:

Where am I looking mate?

Take a look behind the rear drivers side wheel, you will see a big spring as part of a mechanism that connects with all the brake stuff, thats your brake compensator Thumbs up However i wouldnt have thought this would be giving you handbrake issues, the handbrake should work as required with the compensator completely removed i would have thought Unsure

This is true. I had no rear braking because of my compensator but my handbrake still worked, I would try adjusting your cable again and would look at the calipers incase they aren't moving freely.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 16:26
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
smegal wrote:
rallyestyle wrote:
bonzo wrote:
gilesy wrote:

Where am I looking mate?

This is true. I had no rear braking because of my compensator but my handbrake still worked, I would try adjusting your cable again and would look at the calipers incase they aren't moving freely.

Remember that falling off that time, the fix (or lack of it) did make me laugh LOL

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 16:46
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
That comp valve gave me so many problems. LOL

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 16:49
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Is this comp valve on all 3 phases? I don't recall seeing such a part. Whenever my hadbrake has been toss i've always done the above and had no further issues.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 17:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
Late cars have EBD type ABS and no compensator Smile

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Feb 2010 at 17:49
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
welshpug! wrote:
Late cars have EBD type ABS and no compensator Smile

Ah thanks for that, that would explain the differences. Never had any such issues with my '01. Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 9th Feb 2010 at 13:02
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
One tip that i found is if you pull back the plastic cover on the back of the caliper and get loads of W40 in there and then pack out with grease, pull the lever back and forth it should free it up nicely for you.

Well it worked for me.

**EDIT**......Forgot to metion if you have the tube bit/straw on your W40 can, see if you can like i did also spray up the cable into the plastic tubing bit to help also.

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 03:12
dollop

Junior User

Post #22
steve h gti-6 wrote:
One tip that i found is if you pull back the plastic cover on the back of the caliper and get loads of W40 in there and then pack out with grease, pull the lever back and forth it should free it up nicely for you.

Well it worked for me.

Steve is onto the right idea here! The handbrake mechanism on the caliper siezes up!

The lever/pin that the handbrake cable attaches to can corrode making it stick slightly and gradually ineffective!

You ideally need to strip the mechanism on the caliper down (can be tricky) clean up with emhry cloth and regrease!

I found the reason mine siezed up was because the rubber casing which retains the grease and protects from the elements had split!

Hope that helps

Leigh
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 02:58
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Did you get it sorted out Bonzo ?

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 03:13
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Haven't had chance to as much as get it up on axle stands yet, hoping to get some time soon, luckily haven't had to do any hill parking yet!!

I'm a bit of a rookie on this sorta stuff so need to make sure I give myself some time!

Cheers for all the suggestions, I'll give it a good look over before I start on them!

Thumbs up

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 03:20
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
ive got to do mine also, just need to get the repair kit for it.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 12th Feb 2010 at 03:34