displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Cam Pulleys
monkgti

Regular

Post #1
Hi lads, i bought a timing kit and pump few weeks ago (i think it was a member on this site that had it on ebay as i think i seen the kit for sale here too?) so goin to be changing it soon as i get a chance. Now ive read the thread on FAQ but the one thing i cant understand is why do the the cam pulley bolts have to be loosened when doin the belt? Huh? ive done loads of belts on lots of different cars and never did this... is there play in the pulleys as in they move a little on the camshafts? And if so then will this not put the timing on the cams off slightly when the pulleys move on them?? why cant they be left as they are when removing the old belt then putting on the new one as then everything will be the exact same as before?? mabey im been stupid and missing somthing but ive read over it a few times and cant figure it out...... could anybody explain this to me, thanks.....

IF YOU CAN READ THIS IM STILL IN 5TH!!!
Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 02:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
the adjustment of the pulleys means that the cam timing will be spot on whatever you set the belt tension to.

take the covers off, lock the cams, check that the bottom pulley hasnt slipped, then pin it and loosen the cam bolt/bolts.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 03:30
monkgti

Regular

Post #3
so the cam pulleys are able to move on the cams then? as in there not locked in position on the cams by a keyway like on other cars?

Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 03:55
stealthcossie

Junior User

Post #4
they're on slip pulleys,they're not keywayed

Dave
Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 04:04
vts_gav

Regular

Post #5
depending on mods a slight advance in inlet cam may also slightly improve performance.
Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 04:22
monkgti

Regular

Post #6
so there not locked to the cams then is it? and is there a certain amount they can move or can they actually turn right around on the camshaft??

But just say im doin the belt then, and i have the new belt on, then i loosen the 2 cam bolts and as im tensioning the belt the 2 pulleys move back a little like it says they will, and obviously because the bolts are loose the pulleys will move back but not the cams themselves, but then wont the cam timing be changed because the pulleys will have advanced on the cams??? or another thing how can you tell when the bolts are loosened that the cams havnt moved 2 much either way inside the head where you cant see them as the camshafts themselves will not actually be locked from moving, or like i was asking above is there only a small amount that the pulleys can move on the cams? lots of q's i know, but im just trying to understand how they work Unsure

Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 05:41
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
When the three locking pins are in, the cams and crank are fixed in their correct position so they can't move no matter where the pullies end up.

The adjustment, as said above, is purely so that the belt tension is spread evenly when it is tensioned up.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 00:18
monty-69

Senior User

Post #8
Belts can vary slightly in length, as well as head/gasket thickness and belt tension all alter the timing. I wouldnt like to tackle a gti6 if i had never changed a timing belt by adjusting cam/crank sprocket method. A tool for holding cam sprockets is a must while cracking off the bolts. If its the later type one bolt pulleys, make sure they can adjust freely and are not rusted.
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 01:07
monkgti

Regular

Post #9
but if the pulleys are locked with the pins how do they move at all even with the bolt loosened? wont the pins be locking them in position??? id understand if they were vernier pulleys say like on a 106 gti standard but the pulleys are just one piece aint they??? Unsure

Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 03:47
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
The pins don't lock the pullies; they lock the pulley inner hub fixed to the cams.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 03:54
monkgti

Regular

Post #11
oh, so that hole that the pin goes through is not actually part of the pulley?? in the pic in the FAQ section it looks like its part of the pulley like on most other cars where it would be locking the whole pulley........... aahh i get ya... i think i understand it now Thumbs up

Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 04:11