displaying posts 1 to 25 of 34

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Iphone 3G Head unit
fletch

Track Head

Post #1
Im searching for a head unit that works well with the iphone 3G.

Don't mind mounting a cradle on the dash, or using bluetooth.

Don't want the front usb input as they look gash and prevent easily removing the face plate

Phone call integration would be a bonus.

Best one I've found so far is the Alpine iDA-X001.
Thoughts?
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 19:48
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
How does it need to work Fletch? Do you need to be able to control the Iphone from the head unit or would you rather control from the iphone?

Im gonna need a new stereo soon as my old one has died after 10 years, will need to have some sort of link i think. Would a USB connection read straight off your phone like its a USB stick?

Just Drive It
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 19:57
fletch

Track Head

Post #3
Either way mate. Obviously if it uses bluetooth, then control from the HU is essential as I can keep the phone in my pocket.

Regarding the USB it seems some HUs have a port on the front or rear that allows yout to put your iphone charge cable in and use it that way.
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 19:59
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Cool, i guess its best if it doesnt use bluetooth as it will need to charge at the same time otherwise the battery will drain quickly. Im sure theres one that must just read the music on there like a usb stick and let u control it from the headunit, plus of course charging. The high end ones will probably allow control of all the playlists and stuff too.

I need to look out for something that will work with my Pre via a usb link so will keep an eye out for Iphone ones too. Might end up making my own dock for it, could make some dosh if i get it right Ninja

Just Drive It
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 20:32
jib

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I got this one just before xmas and im very impressed with it. Can control playlists etc through the head unit. The bluetooth function is good. Auto-sync's to the head unit when you switch it on. Not a bad price either.

Halfrauds clicky

It does have a front USB port which i don't have an issue with as i have only 1 USB cable so take it out when im not using it.
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 20:38
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have this.

You can't have your phone in your pocket for this but mine is in a cradle and charges from the fag lighter as bluetooth audio drains your battery a lot!

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 20:45
vernam616

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Can't go far wrong with the Alpine full speed connection range

Audi S3 Black Edition
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 01:29
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Just looked at this fletch, seems to tick the boxes and not a fortune No

Kenwood jobbie

Or this one looks even better:

Pioneer

Think i may have found a winner for me Smile

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 01:46
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
vernam616 wrote:

+1

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 02:14
don_gti

Post #10
I have a keenwood similar to rallyestyle's post. If you have phase 1 you can drill a hole in the side of the top glovebox and run usb from back of stereo into glovebox, neat and outta sight.

You can control the ipod/iphone direct from front of head unit only downside is you can't use it as a phone at the same time.

Phase 1 Diablo
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 02:53
nashy

Sarcastic Tw@

Post #11
smegal wrote:
vernam616 wrote:

+1

+2 Love my flip out screen jobby. With the added bonus that if i ever bought myself an alpine sat nav, i can plug it in and use the screen as a sat nav touch screen.

thats mine Smile

Pete Sims - R.I.P buddy!

PS£ id - onenashy
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 05:21
fletch

Track Head

Post #12
don_gti wrote:
I have a keenwood similar to rallyestyle's post. If you have phase 1 you can drill a hole in the side of the top glovebox and run usb from back of stereo into glovebox, neat and outta sight.

You can control the ipod/iphone direct from front of head unit only downside is you can't use it as a phone at the same time.

Does it charge the 3G correctly, or pop up the message that it's not compatible?
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 14:23
fletch

Track Head

Post #13
nashy wrote:
smegal wrote:
vernam616 wrote:

+1

+2 Love my flip out screen jobby. With the added bonus that if i ever bought myself an alpine sat nav, i can plug it in and use the screen as a sat nav touch screen.

thats mine Smile

Cheers mate but im only looking at the
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 14:23
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
fletch wrote:
don_gti wrote:

Does it charge the 3G correctly, or pop up the message that it's not compatible?

Im surprised it wont charge it if it just acts like a USB port in a computer. What happens if you plug your IPhone into the USB of a computer, does it just start charging without any issues?

Im edging towards the Pioneer one that i linked, the hands free phone option should work well with the Pre i think. Im not 100% sure but as it has a usb to mini usb input i think it should charge too, hopefully LOL

I will have a look for some more today if i get the chance Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 14:28
fletch

Track Head

Post #15
rallyestyle wrote:
Just looked at this fletch, seems to tick the boxes and not a fortune No

Kenwood jobbie

Or this one looks even better:

Pioneer

Think i may have found a winner for me Smile

Liking the Kenwood mate Yes

The thing with the pioneer is the control knob is actually quite a pain to use, eg changing radio frequencys is left to right, and you end up holding it slightly one way and it changes function instead of station.

Gonna research the Kenwood a bit more Big grin
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 14:33
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #16
fletch wrote:
Im searching for a head unit that works well with the iphone 3G.

Don't mind mounting a cradle on the dash, or using bluetooth.

Don't want the front usb input as they look gash and prevent easily removing the face plate

Phone call integration would be a bonus.

Best one I've found so far is the Alpine iDA-X001.
Thoughts?

The iDA-X100 is a good piece of kit, I've had mine for over a year now and its been brilliant. Its only USB / iPod compatible but no more skipping CDs, not that theres enough room in a 306 glovebox for a CD LOL

The USB port is located on the back of the HU, you get a long USB cable to go with it (handy if you want to route it behind your dash) plus the adapter lead for your iPod / iPhone. Really easy to use and browse tracks. Only downside is you need to buy the Bluetooth module seperate for calls etc. Could probably pick it up cheap on the bay though!

Would recommend it to anyone Thumbs up

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 16:41
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
fletch wrote:

Gonna research the Kenwood a bit more Big grin

Have just done exactly that Yes I think you are right, it looks to be the better bit of kit in terms of being easier to use Yes

I may order one up this afternoon as i should be able to fit it at the weekend Smile

Only downside is i cant change the light colour to red Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 2nd Feb 2010 at 18:24
cabbymeg

Regular

Post #18
I've just bought the Kenwood W7044u it works fine with my iPhone 3gs. I use a 250gb USB hard drive with it most of the time though, plenty of space for music on that!
Posted 3rd Feb 2010 at 00:11
faulks88

Post #19
I've had the iDA-X001 your looking at for 18 months and it is really good, but it does have a couple of drawbacks.
Firstly, the full speed connection is only available when you buy the additional lead, which I did. The difference in speed is so minimal it didn't really notice, however, what they don't tell you is that by using the full speed connection you actually lose the ability to view the album covers on the headunit! Showing the artwork like it does was the main reason I bought it in the first place!
Secondly, it's not as easy to navigate as it could be. When you press the centre of the jog dial to open the menus (artist, album, playlists etc) and find the one you want, you then have to press the seperate enter button. This is counter intuitive to the average ipod user as you'd expect to press the centre of the jog dial again- a mistake I still make regularly.
Lastly, I know I'm ranting, scrolling through the artists/albums can take a lifetime. You can get round this though by selecting the music you want before plugging in the ipod/phone, and it will carry on playing from where you left it.
Having said all that (nearly done) it is a great headunit and I've since put it into my e39 5 series which even with the standard speakers is a great sound (I needed it amped in the 306 to get a decent sound).
Apparently the newer versions of this unit take care of the last two issues I've had with it, and if you do go for the extra bluetooth adapter avoid the first generation of it as it had compatibility problems with more modern phones- before the 3gs was released.
Lastly, deep breath, I've got photos of it installed in the 306 in my old posts.
Good luck!

If you go down to the woods today...........
Posted 3rd Feb 2010 at 06:01
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Got my kenwood fitted today, charges my Pre fine so will work no probs with a gaypod Whistle

Do you think Apple have to pay these companys to design them specifically to work with the ipod/iphone's? They must think that in owning a car you automatically own an apple product Crazy

Just Drive It
Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 23:23
fletch

Track Head

Post #21
Just bumping this as I'm looking to buy this week or next, any more recommendations.

Main points I want:
1) iPhone 3G connection (pref rear usb or BT)
2) Album art
3) If connected, should charge the iphone
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 20:27
fletch

Track Head

Post #22
I may have answered my own question but an Alpine IDA-X305 looks like the daddy
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 21:03
CUJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Fletch did you get that Alpine? I'm after a new HU to link with my IP4, ideally no more than £200 tbh but if the HU is worth it I'll pay a little more. Don't mind if USB port is front or rear. Should be some bargains in the sales.

340 horses
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 22:38
fletch

Track Head

Post #24
CUJ wrote:
Fletch did you get that Alpine? I'm after a new HU to link with my IP4, ideally no more than £200 tbh but if the HU is worth it I'll pay a little more. Don't mind if USB port is front or rear. Should be some bargains in the sales.

I did mate yeah, it was proper pricey, but works great, hid the cable behind the dash. You need to pay even more for phone integration though - requires an additional module. Tried cheaper models with bluetooth built in, but none were as slick at browsing for tracks etc on the move.

Works great with iPhone 4 too.
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 22:48
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
CUJ wrote:

What do you want to do with it Jon? Connect hands free for phone calls or play your music?

The Alpine unit I've got in the pug connects via blue tooth for hands free phone calls only.But we have a bit of kit in the Passat that connects via blue tooth and will play music and be a handsfree kit via bluetooth. Works well with my IP4. I can find out how much I can get one for if you like as it's Tara's god parent Wink

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 31st Dec 2010 at 01:16

Pages (2): [1] 2