displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Replacing stub axle
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Ok guys, if any of you got a bit unlucky (or happy with the handbrake Whistle) over winter, you may have bent a stub axle in the rear trailing arm. Thankfully it's a piece of p*ss to replace (thanks to Carl aka mechanical_repairs for the part), all you need is a basic socket set and a BFH.

Thought i'd throw this together seen as there was no FAQ bout the stub axle, and it means you may get away without having to replace the trailing arm.

As usual, i can't take any responsibility for any of you breaking anything following this method!

Jack up the car and remove the offending wheel as you're used to by now, but chock the front wheels because you'll need the handbrake off. Then repeat after me:

1. Remove the brake pads, carrier and disc. You don't need to remove the caliper itself.

2. Prise off the hub nut dust cover (if you have spares just bash it out with a screwdriver)

3. Remove the hub nut. You may well need a breaker bar for this, but the dust covers make a good job of stopping the nuts from rusting up and seizing.

(optional) Drop the exhaust off its hangers, optional but you may find you have a bit more space to work on the rear of the trailing arm.

4. Now for the hub/bearing assembly. You have two choices here. You can either:

a. Prise everything off using a good lever, which will 99.9% of the time split the bearing

or

b. Take the trusty BFH to the stub axle with the hub still on. Doing so will force the stub axle through the trailing arm, hopefully keeping the hub/bearing in one piece while it drops off the stub axle.

I used option b here and the bearing didn't split. Handy if you plan on re-using it, but you should probably be replacing the bearing anyway.

Either way, once the hub is off, hit the stub axle end-on. HARD. a LOT. Don't be scared about bending anything, just make sure you hit the stub axle end on, and don't slip off and hit the caliper. Best make sure the car is stable on its axle stands before doing this, it takes a fair beating.

Now you should see a little rod something like this, this is the removed old stub axle (bottom) vs the new one (top). Note how bent mine was, it meant the top of the wheel stuck out about 3 inches further than it should do!

5. Refitting is, as usual, the reverse of removal. Locate the stub axle into the trailing arm from behind and set to it with a hammer.

6. The last inch or so is a c*nt to get in, but if you fit the hub followed by the hub nut (new ones of course..), you can use the nut to tighten everything up and pull it all together, pulling the stub axle in from the other side.

7. Tighten up the hub nut once you're happy everything lines up, and tap the lip of the nut into the recess on the stub axle.

8. Refit the wheel, drop the car and go for a drive, fingers crossed some rear end stability again!

9. Best go get the alignment checked to make sure everything's fitted properly

10. And you'd best stop playing with that handbrake LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 02:57
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
yep done this a few times, sometimes if the stb is very bent it wont come out tho. Also i remove caliper complete so leave pads etc in. Remember hitting out the knackered stub is fine, but you cant do that to a stub you want to use from another arm so i press them out to avoid damage
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 03:15
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Good point, Carl pressed one out for me and posted it up

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 04:02
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I brought the stub axle brand new, they where only 16 quid each, I Think it was PUG SPORT.
Posted 29th Jan 2010 at 04:53
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
here is the link for them, but are a lot more now since I brought them

stub axles
Posted 30th Jan 2010 at 15:57
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
that's a damned good price btw, I paid 30 delivered for a 2nd hand one from Carl, but that's a good price for a new Grp N one

Personally I think this should be FAQ'd, especially with your link Chris Whistle

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 31st Jan 2010 at 02:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
That's not a good price, Pug sport France do them for

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Jan 2010 at 02:37
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
yeah but we live in the uk, NOTHING's cheap here

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 31st Jan 2010 at 02:41
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
and that stops you buying one from them how?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Jan 2010 at 02:47