displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: Steering rack end replacing
darrengti

Regular

Post #1
I need to replace the steering rack end on the nearside for MOT, can this be done on the car or do I have to drop the subframe down to get in there?

If I've given it the wrong name it's what I'd call a track rod which then screws into the end of the steering rack.

Thanks in advance.
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 18:21
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #2
If you're talking about the track rod, and not the track rod end, then you can get some waterpump pliers and grip around the ball and crack them off, then they just unscrew. One side is much more tricky than the other, i just can't remember which (think its the N/S one)

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 20:02
fletch

Track Head

Post #3
N/S is trickier Yes
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 20:03
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
is there a guide on here? i'm sure i've seen one unless i'm just thinking of the TRE guide
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 21:10
darrengti

Regular

Post #5
Yeh its the nearside, looked a bit of a b*tch to get at that's why I asked about dropping subframe. But if I can get grips on there I reckon I've got a fair chance of getting it off.

Atleast I now know it can be done in situ.
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 22:25
idnan

Regular

Post #6
I've got to do this in a few weeks time. I did the o/s one and that wasn't too bad but as mentioned by others, the n/s is harder. I think you have to peel back the endcap rather than removing the gaiter like on the other side.

I've heard removing the wishbone along with turning the steering wheel all the way to left gives plenty of room to get something around the track rod.

I was told to use some threadlock on the threaded part of the track rod where it enters the rack, is that what you're supposed to do?
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 23:00
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
stilsons are the tool you want, yo will have to jam the car on full lock else it will pull back and make access harder
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 23:18
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Ahhh good to know - i'll do them with the rack off the car then Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 00:38
darrengti

Regular

Post #9
idnan wrote:
I think you have to peel back the endcap rather than removing the gaiter like on the other side.

I've heard removing the wishbone along with turning the steering wheel all the way to left gives plenty of room to get something around the track rod.

I had a go at this today, with no success. I removed the wishbone and can see this gives a lot better access to the track rod. But it was the chuffing rubber boot that caused all the issues, how on earth you can peel it back out the way is beyond me. I had a go, it stretched and deformed a bit but could not get it back over. The other option was to remove the rubber boot, but cant see how it's attatched, it's as if it goes back under where the ram is connected to the arm. hmm.

Any help would be appreciated. Bit f*cked off with it today!
Posted 30th Jan 2010 at 21:53
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
adam b wrote:
Ahhh good to know - i'll do them with the rack off the car then Smile

I'd have thought you'd be replacing all of that without fail Adam especially after most of it needs it after the engine removal.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 31st Jan 2010 at 05:33
darrengti

Regular

Post #11
Done it Big grin And yes it's an absolute pig.

Used some heat on the rubber boot, pushed it, prised it, and in the end after about half hour it just decided to split, arse!

Well with the boot out the way swopping the track rod was easy, mole grips on the end of it and turn anti clock wise with a fair bit of pressure then just unwound easily. Fitting the new one was just the reverse.

As for the rubber boot, well its been super glued, cable tied and covered in grease, fingers crossed for MOT re-test tomorrow.
Posted 31st Jan 2010 at 21:26
fletch

Track Head

Post #12
What does the haynes manual say? Unfortunately I've never seen read anyone on here changing the N/S on the car.
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 02:24
fletch

Track Head

Post #13
Oops sorry meant to post his earlier, but forum was down and refreshed the page.
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 02:25
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
i didnt think these would wear too bad

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 03:14
fletch

Track Head

Post #15
Probably bent?
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 03:15
darrengti

Regular

Post #16
No, it wasn't bent. It failed the MOT on the 'inner ball joint' which the tester told me is the one on the end of the track rod that screws into the rack. And tbh when I removed it there was a lot more play in it than the new one.

It would be such an easy part to change if it wasn't for that damn rubber boot. Bit of a poor design by Peugeot, o/s one comes off and can be replaced, but can see no way the n/s one can be removed.

Hey ho, fingers crossed it goes through MOT tomorrow because I'm not keen on removing the rack.
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 04:44
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #17
at least the n/s one is rubber, the o/s is plastic and a fair bit less stretchy!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 15:46
idnan

Regular

Post #18
Can't you put a new rubber cap on the n/s? Surely its just a case of sliding it down the track rod from the outer end and pushing into place.

As mentioned above I am waiting to do mine but I don't want to leave it without rubber gaiter if the old one splits.
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 21:46
darrengti

Regular

Post #19
idnan wrote:
Can't you put a new rubber cap on the n/s? Surely its just a case of sliding it down the track rod from the outer end and pushing into place.

Looks that easy but couldn't actually find a way of getting that rubber boot off. It goes under the collar that the ram bolts too. That collar tyoe thing seemed pretty well stuck there. Not corroded or anything just like it was never going to come off!

On the positive side my super glue repair worked and we now have 12months ticket Big grin
Posted 1st Feb 2010 at 22:47
beanie

Senior User

Post #20
the rubber boot has a metal ring in the rubber and is pressed on.
it sounds like youve been removing the rubber but leaving the ring on the end of the rack.

you need to use a sharp chisel or screw driver and hammer the gater off with the ring, theres a hole in the subframe for access.

i did mine yesterday and struggled untill i figured out how it was fitted, also had the pug special tool to remove the steering arm, which slides over the arm and grips the u/j part of the steering arm.

VW Jetta GTI - Castle Combe, Donington Park, Curborough, Silverstone, Croft
Subaru Legacy Turbo - Castle Combe, Donington Park, Bedford Autodrome, Snetterton
Peugeot 306 GTI 6 - Donington Park, Nurburgring, Curborough

GTI 6 build date, 21st july 1999. Owned since, 9th october 2004, 34100 miles.
Posted 16th Jan 2011 at 21:38
ravemercer

Regular

Post #21
Done mine last week n/s was a slag stanley knifed it of after spending half an hour trying to pop it off with screwdrivers. covered it with a uni c.v boot cable tied on.
Posted 29th Jan 2011 at 04:38