displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: Steering column bracket
r.a.m. 106

Junior User

Post #1
I tried to loosen the four bolts that hold in the column bracket but they seem to be very tight. Are they a left hand thread ( even though no markings ) or are they probably seized. @ chris with a pug or any one who has removed them before, were they a b*tch to loosen?
Thanks Richard.
Posted 26th Jan 2010 at 06:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
nope, standard M8 right hand thread lefty loosy righty tighty, once slackened they just undid by finger.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Jan 2010 at 15:01
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
do you mean the actual steering column or the big metal bracket that atatches to the bulk head?

The black nut type bolts are left hand threads I think, but the rest are normal.

Posted 26th Jan 2010 at 16:47
r.a.m. 106

Junior User

Post #4
The big metal bracket that's bolted to the bulkhead.
Ive an arrow pointing to one of the nut's in question. Said bolt by accident last night Blush long day yesterday. They seem to be very tight and the black panel behind the master cylinder seems to flex when i try to loosen them.
Thanks lads.
Posted 26th Jan 2010 at 18:56
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
those are left hand thread But i cannot be 100 percent sure as it has been a while. You do need to remove the bolts going through them from the engine bay first
Posted 26th Jan 2010 at 23:32
rikky 🦔

Post #6
yep either one or two are left threads, as they have bolts going through the other side.. make sure you loosen them too or you won't get very far LOL

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 00:01
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
OLD THREAD RESURRECTION WARNING

Tried removing this bracket the other day (incidentally they were just normal thread) and whilst I admit I only took off three (as the bottom left meant getting under the car) the thing simply wouldn't even budge.

I know it won't come off until the fourth one is out but I'd have expected some movement at the top at least.

Are there more then just the four bolts through from the bulkhead? Do I have to remove pedals or anything?

Taar.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 31st Jan 2011 at 22:52
rikky 🦔

Post #8
you undone the bolts that go into them from the other side yeah n the engine bay?

should just come out when them are out and the inside nuts slackened [forget how many are right / left thread]

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 04:25
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I've taken out the four (well, three so far) long bolts from the engine bay into the back of the bracket, but gave up when that didn't do it.

So there are nuts on the inside as well? As I say it was only a last minute give-it-a-go as I was finishing up so didn't look all that carefully.

So these are on the cabin side?

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:16
rikky 🦔

Post #10
i mean the big actualk 20mm-ish nuts which hold the bracket itself on.. they have the bolts in the engine bay going into them on the other side. is that what you've removed? sorry if you have done this but the actual big nuts remove from the inside

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:32
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Literally all I've done is remove the bolts that go in from the engine bay side, I didn't remove anything from the inside.

So no, I haven't removed the nuts from the inside, that'd do it Smile

So the pedals and everything stay as they are, there's nothing else that relies on the bracket for support?

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:35
rikky 🦔

Post #12
yep pedals can stay in i think, i might have removed accelerator pedal but this was like one bolt to whip it off, never removed brake or clutch

just remove them 4 massive nuts that go into the steering column. as said above, i think some are left-threaded so need to turn them the opposite way to loosen them. forget which are which

basically the 4 big nuts (circled on pics above)

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:37
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Aaaaaaaaaah so the actual nuts themselves need to unscrew as well?

That was the sound of a penny dropping.

I assumed they were just welded to the bracket, didn't realise they had to come off as well. Cheere matey!

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:41
rikky 🦔

Post #14
nope! they come off LOL

that's why some are left-threaded [so your bolts can screw in from the back in the engine bay to secure it]

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:42
rikky 🦔

Post #15
looking at it, yes, you'll need to remove the accelerator cable as it passes through this bracket from the side. simple though, will be obvious when you loosen it all

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:44
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Gotcha Thumbs up

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 13:46
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Iirc 3 are left handed thread then the one at the bottom right is right hand and the bolt is also on the inside of the car on this one!
Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 15:10
rikky 🦔

Post #18
he's probably doing it now whilst eating a pizza Laugh

Posted 1st Feb 2011 at 15:19