displaying posts 1 to 25 of 31

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: down loading movies
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Now i know it is highly illegal , but i am having an absolute nightmare. I must be the only person in the world that cant download a movie and burn it to disc. I have seen loads of threads on it , but cant find it now. i have a mac (intel ) and use utorrent. Every movie i down load is an avi or wmv file and i dont understand how to encode it transfer it or cock all. I now have 20 bits of software that all do different things but it still dont work. i have toast 10, ffmpeg,aiseesoft, you name it.remember it is for a mac!

idiots guide to this would help......if i need software that has to be free too as i have no money , hence down loading films

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 18:01
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Get an external hard drive and put them on that. plug it into PS3/360 and you're away. Thumbs up

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 18:08
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Try release log or zerosec, just search them in google! They will give you rapidshare links or hotfile links to download, their normally in better file types. Also it's a proper file copy direct rather than a torrent! Thumbs up

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 18:12
mark-vts

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Not that I condone this... but download Handbrake (free) and convert to the format of your choice.

Click

Choose 64bit Intel 10.5/10.6 GUI.

Edit: Unless you have a Core Duo/Solo, in which case choose 32bit.

Xsara VTS > 265BHP WRX > Company car
Remember; only TWATS use text speak
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 18:42
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I see 2 fails:

torrents

macs
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 20:55
puglover Banned!

Post #6
what cant you do? where do you want to play the movie?

I use VLC player which handles pretty much everything i throw at it.

I dont really burn disks so cant help you there. But imageburner burns ISO files to disk. I think this is what you need to do to create a carbon copy of a dvd so that other cd players will read it.

I used it to create a mac osx leopard cd.
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 03:26
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
i think the program i used to use to convert back to normal dvd format was called winavi, downloaded free through utorrent again, lol

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 21:09
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
puglover wrote:
I dont really burn disks so cant help you there. But imageburner burns ISO files to disk. I think this is what you need to do to create a carbon copy of a dvd so that other cd players will read it.

That's a good point, a lot of DVD players won't just read .avi or .mpeg files etc. Ideally you want to download the CD image (usually comes as a .iso or .img) and burn that.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 21:33
phil19gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Buy a cheap DVD player with DivX capabilities and it'll recognise almost every file type.

2006 Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI
1999 Black 306 Rallye
1991 Lazer Green 205 1.9 GTi
2003 Blue Focus RS
1999 White 306 Rallye
1992 Red 205 1.9 GTi
1988 Red 205 1.6 GTi
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 22:37
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Thanks for the replies guys, i am begining to wish i had never started the idea now as i now have a ton of software on my mac ....my blueray player also plays divx files so i shall look that way .

macs do have there uses you know, especially with teenage kids as they do love to download music illegally and make a mess of windows pcs, this is something the mac does not suffer from as there are not any trojans malware blue screen viruss etc.

If you prefer paying norton 65 sobs a year for the pleasure of an unbeleivably slow pc that fails to catch every virus then go ahead.....not me mate i have a pile of broken windows kit next to me now that must run into the thousands.

Macs are tricky but do everything a windows pc does , it is just a bit harder to go about doing the dvd and music stuff without it costing you a packet

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 23:15
puglover Banned!

Post #11
macs are ace you just need lots of RAM and they start to behave then. LOL
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 01:39
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Clicky

Sold my GTI-6 now riding in a Scooby

---------------------------------
James
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 03:12
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
never knew what the difference was betewwn macs and pc`s. can anybody explain?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 17:39
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
gtisid wrote:

macs do have there uses you know, especially with teenage kids as they do love to download music illegally and make a mess of windows pcs, this is something the mac does not suffer from as there are not any trojans malware blue screen viruss etc.

If you prefer paying norton 65 sobs a year for the pleasure of an unbeleivably slow pc that fails to catch every virus then go ahead.....not me mate i have a pile of broken windows kit next to me now that must run into the thousands.

Macs are tricky but do everything a windows pc does , it is just a bit harder to go about doing the dvd and music stuff without it costing you a packet

Apple Mac's are affected by viruses. It used to be that only 10% of viruses affect Macs, the amount is now a lot higher. Due to the restrictive nature of the OS it's also an absolute f*ck stick trying to sort the issue out.

You didn't see anything. Right?
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 18:21
dangerous dave

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
andy+katie wrote:
never knew what the difference was betewwn macs and pc`s. can anybody explain?

In short hardware wise there's nothing different now. A Mac used to have it's own style of hardware, prefering RISC (reduced instruction set computer) archetecture over the CISC (complex instruction set computer) which meant that the ddata travelling round a MAC was steamlined by the chipset on the mainboard and then processed using a basic CPU. On a PC the CPU had all the work to do, hence they ran hotter and were noisy. Now you can get the same effect from the current rangte of Intel based kit Apple just don't bother. They've stopped designing their own hardware standards and just buy in the processors from Intel. This means that a Mac will run Windows quite well (though the difference in mouse/keyboard is a bind)

The Opperating system is the only difference now. The Mac OS is based on Unix and is pretty solid. It's still reasonably restrictive and desiging software for it is harder than a Windows enviroment, meaning most software is still designed for Windows. Most companies outside of the artistic sector will still use PCs for this reason and that of cost, a Mac is a substantial amount more than the equivilent spec PC. They have some nice features (the screans are always ahead of those on a PC) but cost is a big issue.

Fans of the Mac will bang on, almost constantly, about how reliable it is and how you rarely get a problem, which is pretty acurate. They never seem to mention, however, that if you do have an issue it's always difficult to solve and you can rarely bodge your way around a problem.

I've owned Mac's in the past, I would probably use them over PCs as Helen is a musician and that would be her preference, for home it's pretty much equel. At the moment I work in IT with PCs so I go with whatever I'm given as a home system (HP Elitebook at the moment, it's quite lovely!!)

You didn't see anything. Right?
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 18:34
parkerpug

Regular

Post #16
Mines all linked up to xbox so i dont burn much however i downloaded convertx and never had an issue its easy just drag n drop avi or whatever. divx are ok but i'd advise not burning them to disk, the cheap divx player i got does play some (I tried as you can put 4 or 5 films in avi format onto disc)divx files after durning to disc but flickers and the quality seems to be pretty shite , not an expert but maybe the quality of discs matter an all that, anyway, try convertx its a doddle
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 17:54
scott dt

Regular

Post #17
Quality will suck if you've converted them so that you can fit 4 or 5 on a disc. When you say disc though, do you mean dvd or cd? If you try to put more than one on a single CD (700mCool you'll be compressing the video so much that a large proportion of the quality is lost.

Team Jenvey 45
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 18:04
nashy

Sarcastic Tw@

Post #18
gtisid wrote:
my blueray player also plays divx files so i shall look that way .

Does your blu-ray player not have a usb input? An avi file saved on a usb should play fine if so, burning dvd's is so last week Smile

Pete Sims - R.I.P buddy!

PS£ id - onenashy
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 18:54
fletch

Track Head

Post #19
ANyone use TVersity to stream at all?

I stream from the home server to the xbox downstairs but not 100% sure on which codec is best to use. TVersity sometimes tries to transcode on the fly but can't keep up, especially on HD files. I'd rather have everything in the correct format ready to stream beforehand.
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 19:40
jcooper776

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I attempted to use TVersity to stream from my pc to xbox and it never worked. I gave up in the end.

I can see the xbox appear on the network on my PC, but the xbox won't even connect to my wireless network using it's wireless adapter now.

I have to plug the ethernet cable in to use xbox live. But it still won't work to stream from the PC. I spent days searching the internet trying various fixes but nothing worked.

Sold my GTI-6 now riding in a Scooby

---------------------------------
James
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 20:26
samchn07

Post #21
is technically everything right , just recheck and play

Sam Chn
Posted 10th Dec 2011 at 08:09
Scrompy

Aka Quagmire83

Post #22
fletch wrote:
ANyone use TVersity to stream at all?

I stream from the home server to the xbox downstairs but not 100% sure on which codec is best to use. TVersity sometimes tries to transcode on the fly but can't keep up, especially on HD files. I'd rather have everything in the correct format ready to stream beforehand.

It's unlikely to be anything to do with the codec if your streaming wireless. Wi-fi is simply not up to the job of streaming HD movies yet so if its not possible to connect it all via ethernet cables I would just buy an external hard drive and plug it into the xbox and play movies that way.

Oh and the PS3 is TONS better for streaming movies than the Xbox.

X-Box Live gamertag: Scrompy

PS3 tag: Scrompy

Posted 10th Dec 2011 at 09:55
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #23
Scrompy wrote:
Wi-fi is simply not up to the job of streaming HD movies yet

LOL! Are you on crack??

An 802.11n WiFi network in good signal conditions is more than capable of streaming HD content.

For a typical downloaded 1080p downsampled BD rip you only need about 1.3 MB/s. If a WiFi N network can't provide that then something is seriously wrong.

I get enough throughput on my WiFi network to stream raw BD rips. (~5.6 MB/s)

(Anyway, I'm sure Fletch worked something out in the 23 months between his question and your answer...)

Rich
Posted 10th Dec 2011 at 10:18
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Yay to thread necroing.

I gave up with TVersity and just go HDMi from PC to TV running XBMC. Bollox to streaming.

PS3 has issues with watermarked audio because of the DLNA chip. Both that and 360 have issues that they do not support all formats and so things like .mkv have to be processed by the PC anyway, which means skipping through cause stupid lag.

That with XBMC remote on the android, total win...
Posted 10th Dec 2011 at 10:34
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
All these hours you spent downloading, all i do is pay £10 a month and get 2x lovefilm DVD/Blurays at once Thumbs up

Then again our broadband is max 2 mbps so it's just too slow for downloading anything moviewise!

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 10th Dec 2011 at 13:24

Pages (2): [1] 2