displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Oil seep advice (Pics inside)
adamjb

Regular

Post #1
Hi people,

I've noticed a slight oil seep on my engine, I've emailed pics round to a few mechanically minded mates and they don't seem to think it's anything too serious as it hasn't got any worse, neither did my garage when it was in for it's service but I don't like it so want it fixed. I've not much mechanical expirience so I'd appreciate it if someone can inform me what the problem is, what parts I'll need to fix it, is it a common problem and would I be able to fix it myself? (I have access to tools and I really want to start doing work on cars myself so I have a better understanding on how they work, and save myself a few pennies)

Did a search but as I don't know the specific problem I couldn't find anything.

Cheers guys!

white rallye
Posted 23rd Jan 2010 at 23:16
gti6-ginge

Regular

Post #2
looks like the rocker/cam cover gasket most people on hear just reseal them with a gasket sealer. try a search on cam covers or rocker covers will bring up loads of threads

MY CAR WAS BUILT ON 17/03/2000 THATS A FRIDAY OH NO
Posted 23rd Jan 2010 at 23:44
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
is the nut fully sealed down? Im thinking that if the thread has been worn away, it wont be fully holding it down against the gasket, then the oil can creep up through where the nut is screwed down?

Just my 2 cents worth at a guess Smile

Team allesclar ®

Posted 23rd Jan 2010 at 23:48
jose

Senior User

Post #4
take the bolt out,put some silicone sealer (blue/ Black) round the washer and bottom of the bolt and bolt it back down

Nile Blue GTi6

Alpine White 205 GTi 1.9 - Project

Air Con Pipes Thread.......

Machine Polishing - Paint Correction - Swirl Removal in West London - PM for details
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 00:59
adamjb

Regular

Post #5
Thanks a lot guys, I'l get some sealer and have a look! Thumbs up

white rallye
Posted 24th Jan 2010 at 07:28
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #6
I know this is off topic but thats a real clean engine bay you got there chap Smile
How'd you get it looking like that?
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 03:32
adamjb

Regular

Post #7
Spitfire on here detailed the car last october and I think this included the engine bay. I've only owned the car for a couple of months so its really down to its previous owners (Chet being the last one)

Detailed pics clicky

I'm certainly intending on keeping it that way though! cheers

Back on topic, I'm going to sort the problem this weekend although I've monitored it all week, I cleaned the oil away (along with all the salt thats built up around the engine Angry )and it hasnt returned in the last 200 miles or so so looks like a very minor issue, guess the oil just built up over a few months

white rallye
Posted 27th Jan 2010 at 22:31