displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: God im lucky
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hiya guys

My car got drivin through a flood on Sat just gone and yes .....you guessed it ....the dredded hydrolic lock syndrome. Luckly the AA recovery guy listed and didnt try to start her again so no more damage could be done. (K&N 57i induction kit on)

When she had been transported back to me i set about getting the sparks out, disconecting the coils and fuel cut off, airpipe hoses and then cleanfilmed the coilpack connectors.

When all that was done and can throughly recommend this.......Get and old spray bottle top with a long pipe on it, insert that through the spark plug holes and pump/spray the water out...phew all done. then i cranked her over on the starter motor, sprayed some WD40 in to displace the water, left it for a few hours.

Put her back together and hey presto......she cranked over first time and she only sounds very slightly like an old sewing machine, so i got away lightly being as its always a 50/50 chance its totally fooked or not !

Now need to save up for a repair bill, if just valves then phew ! but then again , need new head bolts, head gasket, oil/filter, coolant, cam-belt kit including water pump etc.....could be a slight bent con-rod but can always drop the sump and change over, wont know until i can get the head off.

At the moment apart from sounding like a sewing machine ever so slightly she is tip top from her little swim. so remember all is not lost just because you got over 4ltrs of flood water in your engineUnsure Big grin Unsure Big grin Unsure Big grin

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 21:40
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Might be me being daft but.. thought the most you could get in would be around 1 litre? Well, in the cylinders anyway...

Glad to hear you (sort of) sorted it tho Thumbs up

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 22:17
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
cwspellowe wrote:
Might be me being daft but.. thought the most you could get in would be around 1 litre? Well, in the cylinders anyway...

How did you work that out? You certainly couldn't get 4 litres of water in the cylinders of a 2 litre engine, that's for sure. LOL

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 22:20
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
2 pistons at the top, 2 at the bottom, or equivalent displacement at any given time?

I might just be being tired and stupid, but thought max displacement of each cylinder was 500cc, so at any time you'd only have 1000cc in there, assuming nothing leaked into the bottom end?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 23:12
mangledmetal

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
air pipes........etc

Going through the gates of Hell Backwards, in a ball of flames!

I'll, save you a place!!
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 23:18
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
stoopid low car + K&N + Puddle = FAIL Doh

shouldn't have bent any valves directly from sucking in water, but if the timing belt slipped at all its quite possible.

could have knocked out a big end bearing.

or bent a rod as you said, I have seen a GTI6 conrod that was hydrolocked, had two bends, one from the crank pushing it and bending, and the other from the counterweight smacking the bent rod as it came round.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 00:00
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
From what Ive read, its just a matter of time now before it goes bang Sad unlucky either way.
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 01:18
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Dont forget i had to get the water out the inlet manifold, ducting and filter as that was full of crap and what came back out the exhaust too.

Im out the country next month for 4 months so it will have to wait to get fixed properly, if it goes pop while its being used in an emergency only then no worrys as we have a 2nd car to use.

Not ideal but nothing i can do being 8000 miles away. but at least i can save up for a proper rebuild as the car needed a good service and cam belt change etc. so i really can count myself lucky it happened now insted of after a nice service and belt change.

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 03:08
gazzerdaman

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
You done an oil change? Will sound tappy if the oil is contaminated with water.

Gary

Cherry Red GTi 6
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 18:28
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
gazzerdaman wrote:
You done an oil change? Will sound tappy if the oil is contaminated with water.

Im doing an oil/filter change this weekend anyways for peace of mind as a little water has contaminated it. Amazing as the water was everywhere, and the amount that still sprayed out when craking her over on the starter motor was huge after i thought id sucked it all out.

Oil and Coolant levels are still normal after a weeks driving around. Not ideal i know but i have to get to work etc and have no choice for nowUnsure

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 18:37
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
good luck, the problem with leaving it is if it has bent a rod and you wait for it to fail it may wreck the bottom and top end when it goes. That said you could just leave it and buy a second hand engine when it goes
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 18:45
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
al4x wrote:
good luck, the problem with leaving it is if it has bent a rod and you wait for it to fail it may wreck the bottom and top end when it goes. That said you could just leave it and buy a second hand engine when it goes

Got a few options in the bank, if it goes bang...new engine....if it hangs on while im away....fix what was wrong.

Just a pain im going away for 4 months and dont have the money to sort it as id like over the next weekSad Either way repair/new engine it will be back on the roadCool

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 19:07