displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: The Ice...
tweedie

Junior User

Post #1
Well to start of from so many questions i will start with something simple.

I have had car issues over the last week or so as my car WILL NOT start up AT ALL. Frozen Solid. So i left it while it was cold and put some old rags over the engine to try and keep most of the cold off the engine completely.

However, i have come to start it today after being warmer... NOTHING, so i hooked my mums car to it, as the battery was dead, and jumped it from her car to get it going.... It fired up but sounded really loud and knocky, so i turned it off again. I am worried that the engine is how we say f*ckED.

It sounds very loud with the knocking but i dont know what it is... any thoughts? I dont wanna run it as i dont wanna f*ck it up (any more)

Could it be that there is no water running though the system yet as it has been frozen? Oil level seems fine and no signs of water in the dip stick or under the filller cap. The engine had NO coolant/antifreeze in it and i didnt know this until it was frozen solid!

Please Help Sad
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 05:30
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Might have bust the water pump if it was frozen solid as you say.

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 05:33
tweedie

Junior User

Post #3
How much is the water pump to replace? I am shit with parts Sad I just want it fixing, i miss the power Sad Plus the fact it has over half a tank of fuel in it lol
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 05:35
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I'd have a good check round the block to see if any core plugs have been pushed out and/or signs of any cracks.

Engines can sound rough on start up after being left un-run for a while and in cold weather, there may be nothing to worry about!?

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 05:39
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Just wait till its a little warmer and replace the coolant with some antifreze.

The water pump is used in relation to the cambelt, the belt spins it around in the block and pumps the water, this can seize sometimes and throw the belt off, resulting in a very fooked head, so that may not be your problem, as the car probly wouldnt start. lol

It could be anything realy, maybe something loose like allan said, check the spark plugs.

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 05:43
tweedie

Junior User

Post #6
I will give it all a good go over on Monday as i am off for 2 days. I am abit confused as it does struggle to start but yet when i got it running there were exhaust fumes coming up the back of the engine. I forgot this until now for some reason.

I have only had it running twice and the other times it just wouldnt start but ticked over on the key fine, sounded just like it should. The 2 times it started were ropey at best, it was VERY loud and sounded like someone was hitting the block with a small hammer very fast! So i turned it off :/
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 05:46
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Where they exhaust fumes or could it have been steam coming off the exhaust manifold as it warmed up?

As birk says it could be a waterpump issue so I'd be inclined to whip the cambelt cover off and check all the timing holes line up too.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 05:57
fordy gti

Post #8
I had a loud knocking sound from my engine the other week, water pump nd the oil pump drive were knackered get it looked at, i was advised not to drive it so got it towed, once fixed was better than eva, not sure if it was due to the weather but i seems to bugger everything else up, gd luck mate
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 16:17
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
anti-freeze ftmfszw

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 16:37