displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: engine swap or up grade car
noaki

Senior User

Post #1
hiya, i have a T reg xsi, with 120k on the engine, i was told i could swap the engine out for another xsi engine with out changeing my insureance, so price wise whats, geting a gti6 and paying the hefty insurance bill, your replaceing my xsi engine + fitting costs, cuz i would like the power of a gti6 but have spend alot on my xsi over the last year and would hate to see it go :S HELP ME GUYS!

Team ex "manstone" - "THATS TO LOW!!"..."I KNOW!" Sad

Team defeat - bring on the *06! :/
Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 19:36
rikky 🦔

Post #2
everyone will naturally say buy a six as the cost of labour + engine + bits outweighs buying a standard gti6, and insurance will put you on a modified policy

however, i've always swapped engines and gone down the 'different' route and haven't regretted anyyhing! xsi engines are cheaper than the gti6 engines though, but gti6 engine may require other bits aswell like pipework and radiator etc.. my s16 engine into an xsi shell was 99% straightforward but needed radiator, some wiring for the lambda [my own fault though] and some pipework but pretty simple..

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 19:39
noaki

Senior User

Post #3
so xsi engine swap would be beter i was told i only needed to notify my insureance of an engine swap becouse dose it count as a mod? um not upgradeing, just replaceing xsi engine for another xsi will less miles and less abused... i dont think the last owner was very kind to it =/

Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 20:08
rikky 🦔

Post #4
yes you notify insurance of engine change and bhp increase, and you change the engine no. on your V5 logbook to the new one.. that's what i did

better to do it all above board and not worry about anything Yes

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 20:45
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
just fit a newer 2.0l xsi lump in it and put some gti6 parts on it like inlet manifold, cams, sump, exhaust manifold??
Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 21:03
noaki

Senior User

Post #6
kl kl, how much more power would that give me extra btw, but i would have to class it as a moded car then im guessing? or can i swing them as replacemnts? and amybody know how much a newer lump would be? and i can fit the 6 stuff at a later date

Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 21:15
blaze wip

Senior User

Post #7
Ok so it's got 120k on it but what's actually wrong with it? Must you change it?

If you've spent a lot of money on it then i assume it's running ok?

Just stick a few choice gti components on her and enjoy a while longer. Thumbs up

mechanical_repairs wrote:

i feel like giving her a good dry bumming session.
Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 22:36
noaki

Senior User

Post #8
well the cars runing ok, and i spent alot on the body lowering, exhuast makeing look like ph3 etc. not so much on the engine tho. i was thinking about an engine change cuz the last owner wasnt very kind to it.. it feeling kinda slopy tbh, i just wanna get the max power outta my engine but i was told cuz of the way it was treated befor it might not hold =/ and was just kinda worryed Big grin

Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 22:43
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #9
Do a compression test, then if it's ok give it an oil change etc. You may find it's just in need of a little TLC, you don't want to go to all the trouble of a swap if there's nothing wrong with the old one.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 12th Jan 2010 at 23:17