displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: broken engine
mike 306

Junior User

Post #1
I had a problem one morning turned the key and the 6 sort of chugged a bit then died. So checked it over and feared engine damage as cam belt was slipping. After getting into the cam belt I have found that one of the wheels the belt goes round has broken off and taken a bit of engine with it stupid design as is very thin piece of metal. So what is the best thing to do replace engine or what else could I do? Has this happened to anyone else?

rubbish mechanics damage cars and then shut down and leave your car open to the elements damaged and you annoyed.
nearly back on road now after months of work though.
Posted 6th Jan 2010 at 22:39
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The cam belt was slipping and you didn't do anything about it?

You're sure you're not talking about the auxilary belt?

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 6th Jan 2010 at 22:43
mike 306

Junior User

Post #3
the belt was slipping after i tried to start it not before i looked at the top of the belt and rocked the car and it slipped that's why i stripped it down. But is the cam belt even had a mechanic friend have a look and he said replace engine but don't know if there are other options.

rubbish mechanics damage cars and then shut down and leave your car open to the elements damaged and you annoyed.
Posted 6th Jan 2010 at 22:54
mike 306

Junior User

Post #4
any ideas or anyone selling a engine at all.

Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 02:06
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
It all depends, you could get away with just changing the head, but will still be close to 500 quid if you do the work yourself. you can pic secind hand engines up for roughly that, but then labour on top
Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 04:28
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
chris with a pug wrote:
It all depends, you could get away with just changing the head, but will still be close to 500 quid if you do the work yourself. you can pic secind hand engines up for roughly that, but then labour on top

It sounds like the tensioner mounting lug has snapped off the block. That being the case a replacement engine is the easiest option.

Rich
Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 04:39
mike 306

Junior User

Post #7
yeah it is the tensioner lug thanks for the help but where is the best place to get a good second hand engine?

Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 05:24
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
mike 306 wrote:
yeah it is the tensioner lug thanks for the help but where is the best place to get a good second hand engine?

Keep your eye out on here as they do come up quite often either that or Ebay if you are willing to take a punt.

If you consider repairing yours, I have a complete head here that is in perfect condition I could do you for a good price, Pm me if interested.
If you are capable of fitting a head yourself that could be your cheapest option and just replace the broken tensioner lug.

Good luck

Ryan
Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 06:02
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
seen this a few times, will be all bent valves as you have turned it over with no cambelt and block is scrap too, new engine time
Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 15:54