displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Name That Noise! please!
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
i made the mistake of driving without the stereo on and have noticed some worrying sounds Sad . there is a slight knock when coming off power / braking sometimes on the drivers side front, also when driving there's a sort of quiet grindy noise that speeds up and slows down as the car does. Recently i have changed the : shocks, top mounts, and drop links. any suggestions cos it's driving me nuts. i need to put the stereo back in really, that'll solve it.

Never underestimate the power of De-Nile.

Friday afternoon car, built in France.... Ninja

306gti6.com Stickers available, pm me for details. or email MjStones83@hotmail.com

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 6th Jan 2010 at 22:37
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The knocking from the drivers side front is probably the top engine mount.

I had the quiet grinding noise on my old Diablo 6 and that was the drivers side front wheel bearing.

Hope this helps Smile

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 6th Jan 2010 at 22:44
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
seeing you already changed the topmounts and droplinks..

maybe the wishbones?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 6th Jan 2010 at 22:45
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
i had the P-bushes done at carls just over a year ago so the wishbones should be fine.
the mount seems ok, there's no space for it to play about in but i might check into the mount / bearing problem. thanks! Thumbs up

306gti6.com Stickers available, pm me for details. or email MjStones83@hotmail.com

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 6th Jan 2010 at 23:03
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
would a bearing on the way out cause other problems that i would be able to notice? pulling, etc??

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 00:06
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Check your strut top bolts are tight. I changed the strut on my drivers side just before xmas and about a week/1K later I heard a knocking noise that seeped to respond to power changes. Only thing in the whole assembly I could find loose was I could put a ¼ turn on a strut top bolt but the noise it was making you'd swear the whole lot was about to drop off.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 7th Jan 2010 at 14:14
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
nuts are tight as. the noise gets worse in neutral and when i turn left. the car loves going right. i hate it so much i want to crash it into a wall. it's getting worse aswell it's like a constant wobbling knocking grindy noise from the front drivers side (the only way to describe it). it also goes away when i brake hard, but there is also a knock when i touch the brakes.

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 18th Jan 2010 at 22:34
hbinky

Post #8
Knocking noise sounds like what I had when a split/ crack had developed in the chassis where the top engine mount bolts to. You'd have to take the top engine mount off to see what its like underneath. The grinding noise is also reminiscent of when my driveshaft started failing, could be the reason why its quieter turning one way rather than the other.
Posted 18th Jan 2010 at 22:58
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
top mount by the sound of it fella Yes

take the mount out and see what the chassis is like under it.
Posted 18th Jan 2010 at 23:00
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
right, well f*ck goes my evening then. off to halfords to spend MORE money on tools. i really really hate my car. i hope someone steals it or burns it.

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 18th Jan 2010 at 23:20
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Check that your P bush bolts are tight, this has caused a knock on acceleration for me before and is free to repair.

The quiet grindy noise could be a bearing, although I would try to rev the engine when it is stationary to see if it is only when moving.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 01:01