displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Heater Fans [Solved]
sixxer

Post #1
Heater Fans Work But Not Straight Away

I own an S reg gti-6 and recently the heater fans will not turn on when the console switch is turned.

After 5-10 mins the heater comes on also the air con light is on.

Anyone any idea how to fix?
Posted 1st Apr 2010 at 20:27
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #2
Have you tried the fan speeds individually?

On auto fan speed i've heard that if one of the resistors in the bulkhead air intake have gone it will affect the fan's operation.

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 22:25
sixxer

Post #3
I've tried what you suggested and the heater will not switch on at any stage of rotation....

could the problem be the heater pot/swich
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 22:37
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #4
Worth a try mate. Bizzare fault Unsure

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 8th Jan 2010 at 01:26
sixxer

Post #5
Ok.

The heater fans appear to work when the water temp reaches approximately 80 degrees. Once the fans have been running, you can turn the car off switch the fans off and on and the fans still run. [The aircon light being on is unconnected]. Leave the car for some time and you need to run the car up to temp then the fans start or so it seems

I've to fix the rear demist relay! Im wondering if the rear demist and heater are connected

and

If the fans are coming on when the engine is run is there a component/relay or mechanism connected to the heater fan switch or circuit?
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 00:16
sixxer

Post #6
Problem Solved!

Checked fuse compartment under steering wheel, checked for burnt relay switches or difficult to remove relays. Tweeked a green relay and the heater started. I'm quite pleased I've found the problem, "dirty connection"...Saturday, ill clean away any oxidised materials from the relays terminals/legs with a fibreglass brush Big grin

NOTE: THIS DOES NOT MEAN THIS IS A FIX FOR ALL FAN RELATED ISSUES. WHAT THIS DOES MEAN IS THE FUSES AND RELAYS FIRST SHOULD BE CHECKEDUnsure
Posted 1st Apr 2010 at 21:38