displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Speedo cuts out sometimes
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Ive read a few threads using the search about this being VSS or earth points but dont know if this applies to me as my Rev counter is fine

Sometimes the speedo drops to 0 for about a minute. It only seems to happen as the car is warming up and the rev counter is fine. During this time the odometer does not go up Shifty Wink

I have an earthing kit on the car so cant see it being earth related so VSS?

I found a part number for the VSS but havent found any pics of where it lives or how to fit it. Would it be something that needs a clean or better to just buy a replacement? Is it an easy job and do I have to drain the gearbox to do it?
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 01:53
gazzerdaman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Mine did this last week, was driving along and next time I glanced at the speedo it had dropped to 0. Restarting the car seemed to cure it and it hasn't done it since *touch wood*.

IIRC you don't have to drain the gearbox oil.

That ebay one sounds like a P1 style, which operated a cable driven speedo but also fed an electrical signal to the ecu. No ebay here (work)

Gary

Cherry Red GTi 6
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 13:57
stebro-gti-6

Post #3
had the same thing on mine but i was kucky as i had a saxo vtr one in my shed put that in all working fine now.
& yes the speed is the same as i have been behined frends cars & got them to beep there horns at 20-30-& so on

China Blue on Black Clones
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 14:21
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
gazzerdaman wrote:
Mine did this last week, was driving along and next time I glanced at the speedo it had dropped to 0. Restarting the car seemed to cure it and it hasn't done it since *touch wood*.
Mine did it once in november, then nothing again till now. Still doesnt do it very often, but enough to annoy me Laugh
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 16:06
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Might be the wrong part number I was looking at. Damn servicebox! Welshpug said in the wanted thread it's 616070, which is about 41 quid with VAT from Peugeot.
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 18:26
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Might be worth checking out the wiring to it first and the plug to make sure its got a decent connection. Could just be corrosion as they are getting on a bit now.

Nothing to see here
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 18:30
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Fair point mate. I had a similar issue with the brown temp sensor just needing re-plugging Smile
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 18:34
fletch

Track Head

Post #8
The connector should be sitting nicely in a protective bag down by the driveshaft but sometimes they get grimy and the wiring can give, try cleaning it up first.
Posted 5th Jan 2010 at 19:38
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Bumping this thread instead of starting my own, and thought the search brought up a good thread with this one.

My HDi has been doing this quite infrequently for a while, usually only dies for a few seconds before coming back but had it do it for over a minute before. Now my brother's newly acquired HDi is doing the same so i better fix it on both.

Did anyone find that the plug was corroded? I don't remember it being bagged up when i stripped a HDi for spares last year.

Is the speed sensor the same as above for the HDi?

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 00:47
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I still havent got round to this but it is still a problem. I bought the part from ebay for 25 quid.

I recently found the brake light switch was buggered so fixed that this weekend instead of looking at the VSS - maybe next weekend Whistle.
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 02:48
rikky 🦔

Post #11
i have this problem, but..

it only does it at one spot on the M60, nowhere else.. ever.. i can drive it directly to the spot where it will do it, and true to my word it does it there and then between one junction and only there.. Blink

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 04:54
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
rikky wrote:
i have this problem, but..

it only does it at one spot on the M60, nowhere else.. ever.. i can drive it directly to the spot where it will do it, and true to my word it does it there and then between one junction and only there.. Blink
Do you also find the clock jumps forward an hour and you suddenly have a sharp pain in your anus? That will be the alien abductions Thumbs up Alien
Posted 15th Mar 2010 at 18:49