displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Stop light
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Mine comes on after a couple of minutes of driving and once lit stays on. Water and oil temp are fine and the fans all cut in and out as they should. There are no other lights that come on in conjunction with the stop light, if you remove the blue connector on the thermostat housing it goes out but the temp guage stops working, so it does point to a water related problem. I have checked all the earths and even run temporary earths from the battery neg to various points on the engine and chassis but it changes nothing.

Any other ideas? It was fine until a few days ago.

Previous Peugeot - 2000(w)GTI-6, Me old China, Supercharged with working aircon!
Posted 29th Dec 2009 at 15:33
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
Maybe the blue sensor (which runs the coolant temperature gauge on the dash) is faulty, and although showing a normal reading on the gauge, it could be flagging up the STOP light....

I think they are about

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 31st Dec 2009 at 00:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
would agree with stan given that unplugging the gauge/warning light sender solves it.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Dec 2009 at 01:21
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Thanks chaps I had this in mind though quite surprised as these sensors tend to last but it does seem plausible.

Thinking about it I could probably swap the plugs around on two of the temp sensors to see if that tests the theory, the plugs are probably different keyways but I'm sure I can sort something.

Previous Peugeot - 2000(w)GTI-6, Me old China, Supercharged with working aircon!
Posted 31st Dec 2009 at 14:07
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
yes thy are different keyways, theyre also very different sensors too.

the blu sensor is a switch to earth on one pin (the stop light) and a variable resistance to earth on the other pin (the gauge).

the brown and green sensors are a variable resistance from one pin to the other, not to earth.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st Dec 2009 at 15:27
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Thanks, just sussed that having a play about, you can swap the blue to green but of course it has little effect. Anyway out with the good old Fluke multimeter and the blue sensor shows the stop light pin to short to earth after a few mins of running from cold so it looks like one of these required.

Next question does anyone have one for sale, I can send Paypal payments or bank transfers.

Also in the market for a radiator, just noticed this one is weeping a bit once hot.

Posted 31st Dec 2009 at 21:30
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Replaced the blue sensor and problem sorted, thanks to all.

Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 03:52