displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Fogging window when raining
fyso

Post #1
Dear Gti-6 experts,

As the subject shows my windows start fogging like hell when it's raining.

I had this problem before and a new ventilation motor has been installed about 1,5 year ago. Within this case my ventilation didn't work at any speed (1,2,3 or 4). The heating did work.

It all worked fine for the past 1,5 years till this day. The ventilation works normal (at every speed, although I have the feeling it's blowing a little bit less), but the motor does make a strang noise (like something is stuck in it). The sound goes faster as you turn up the speed.

The heating works fine too.

Still when I put de heating at max and the ventilation at top speed (4) the windows keep fogging. Only a very small border at the bottom of the windscreen becomes clear. Also my side, rear side and rear window become fogged.

Everything seems to work, but why do my windows stay fogged. Normally my windows stay clear easily at speed 1 or 2. But now I can't even get them clear at speed 4 :S

Who's has an idea? I would appreciate any advice.

(my excusses for any bad english, cause I'm not)

Thanks in advance
Posted 4th Dec 2009 at 18:05
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The motor making a noise could just be leaves or something similar stuck in it. You will need to drop the motor out, which is only a few screws. Then you can see exactly what's making the noise.
If you have a search on here there are pics of where the screws are IIRC.

The misting up could be for several reasons.

Check the car for water leaks, if there is a lot of moisture in the car it will struggle to clear the screen.

Make sure the air is actually blowing out of the demister vents, the cable that moves the flap may have snapped/ come off meaning the air won't be directed at the screen etc.

Also check the coolant level, if it's low there may not be enough water flowing through the heater matrix to warm the air.

The other option is a leaking heater matrix as that will cause the screen to mist up too.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 4th Dec 2009 at 18:47
jaydog81

Regular

Post #3
My motor ticks away and gets faster as you increase fan speed.

It wont turn off either. Constantly ticking over, Its not to loud, volume no'10 see's this off nicely.

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Team i live for working,Paying bills and funding my hobbies. I wish my life could be just living for a pink "I love the 6 sticker".Laugh my ass off
Posted 5th Dec 2009 at 19:35
blaze wip

Senior User

Post #4
dan_s16 wrote:
Make sure the air is actually blowing out of the demister vents, the cable that moves the flap may have snapped/ come off meaning the air won't be directed at the screen etc.

Usually if you have both heat and ventilation you'll see the creen clearing, even with moisture inside the car. But Dan_S16's point above is the most likely cause.

mechanical_repairs wrote:

i feel like giving her a good dry bumming session.
Posted 6th Dec 2009 at 20:22