displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: my tappy enigine
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
right guys i strted my car this morning t find she was tappin like a good en.so check oil,it hardy read on th dip stick.put about 2.5 litres gtx in her ,started her now fine .wel not tapping .finding the soures of the problem to tomoz.
question
have i got a bent valves?
i reckongot the rocker gasket resealed because it leak alil,they used a liqiud gasket .i got the rubber gasket bt was told that it did nt fit.

i had i quick look tonite a i looks like oil ova the engine block

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 01:56
denwar

Regular

Post #2
Liquid gasket will work, but You can buy a proper gasket from any decent motor factor or your local pug dealership, as for the tapping, its more than likley that if its been low enough on oil, then one of your hydraulic lifters has been empty, and prob wont fill again until the car is started and the oil is warm enough to get under lifter, got the same prob with mine the now, but the tapping is permanent, duin my nut in.

denwar
Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 02:01
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
7057sam wrote:
right guys i strted my car this morning t find she was tappin like a good en.so check oil,it hardy read on th dip stick.put about 2.5 litres gtx in her ,started her now fine .wel not tapping .finding the soures of the problem to tomoz.
question
have i got a bent valves?
i reckongot the rocker gasket resealed because it leak alil,they used a liqiud gasket .i got the rubber gasket bt was told that it did nt fit.

i had i quick look tonite a i looks like oil ova the engine block

Sounds like it was tapping because you had no oil in, it might be ok but could have reduced the engines life if you have been running without any oil in for a while. You cant buy new rocker cover gaskets, they come only with new rocker covers, so a good quality sealant is the only other option other than buying new rocker covers.
Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 03:07