displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: sticking caliper
jon kirby

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
it's not on a 6 but it's the same principal but with a 2 pot system. It's on our mrs' x-trail, her off-side front wheel was hot and covered in brake dust after a short run, I've had a look at it and 1 piston is fine and moves in and out quite easily, but the other takes a fair amount of effort to get it out and then pushed back in again, I have freed it off abit without removing any of the seals etc, but does it sound like it's shot or can the pistons themselves be cleaned up and have a new seal kit fitted rather then getting a new caliper?
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 14:07
saveloy

Post #2
Remove the seal and inspect both the piston and wall.
You will most likely find that the wall is corroded. Likely due to a tear in the rubber seal.
Rub down the wall and the piston (if necessary) with very fine wet/dry emery cloth.
Push back the piston fully. Add some rubber grease and replace with a new rubber seal.
The piston will have more free movement than the other, but it should be fine.

Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 05:46
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
As above, best to peel back the boot and expose the piston - check the condition (likely corroded or covered in congealed grease), fine emery or even scotchbrite to clean it up, and slather in red rubber grease or similar to lubricate the seal/piston sliding interface.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 12:16
tom tom go

Tom Tom GONE!!

Post #4
^ Is what you guys are explaining there basically a caliper rebuild and clean ? As it doesn't sound that difficult Dunno

Do you need a press to get the pistons out or can it be done by hand so to speak ?

Cherry RALLYE
Posted 3rd Dec 2009 at 04:37
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
The pistons can be done with a footpump or airline or similar if stubborn. If it's on the car, take it off the carrier or hub and pump the piston out before disconnecting the hydraulics.

It's not really hard, brakes international ar ethe place to get your seals from if you need new ones. Smile Pistons need throwing away if they don't clean up with scotchbrite or fine emery generally, especially if pitted heavily, but it's pretty rare.

The key to a good brake setup is to be thorough in your repair or cleaning of them, and use appropriate products like the red rubber grease for the piston lubrication.

I spent a weekend a short while ago going round mine thoroughly when i fitted the 6 calipers to my HDi, the brakes worked better than ever with no 'grabbing' when rolling up to lights etc. Difficult for me to keep on top of it when the car does so many miles in such crap conditions and it's still fine. Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 3rd Dec 2009 at 12:51