displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: Help, Engine problems!
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I'll start from when the engine starts, Its taking a few more cranks then neccesary to start the GTi up.... This has only happened since i changed the head gasket and got the head skimmed... Before that the engine was working fine with no imperfections, apart from the head gasket f*****g me over.
In order to start on a normal morning, i have to give it a boost with the throttle before it fires into life, and after that for the next minute it dips and dives around 1000revs.

My next problem is this, the Engine Taps loudly - A lot less after i did an engine flush and oil change.
Obviously it increases the more i rev, This is confusing me and damn well annoying to say the least.

Since the oil change i have put some oil treatment in which is supposed to quiet the engine down a bit to no avail.

Any help that could sort this problem out will be greatly recieved, as i say nothing like this happened before the head gasket change.

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 03:10
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
who changed the head gasket? I would be sending it back to them.
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 03:48
mattyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Ok well it sound like the starting issue could be because you have had the head skimmed. If they have taken a lot off then it means your compression ratio will be much increased. (thus making it harder to turn the engine over)

Secondly, the hunting and dodgy revs could be a vacume leak around your inlet manifold.

The tapping is not a good sign at all, this means it may not of been timed up correctly and could have bent a valve.

I would be going back to the person that did the work and get my money back... sounds like a f*ck up to me, but i would take it elsewhere to get it fixed.Sad

Previous china gti6 and Rallye owner.

Now a proud Astor Gti 6 owner.

Missing he BMW already...
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 04:41
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
Money back + compensation Yes You may find that your crank pulley has slipped and when they pinned it all up to refit the timing belt the could have got the cams position a little wrong relative to the crank, this could easily bend a valve and cause starting/running issues.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 04:47
rikky 🦔

Post #5
agree with matty, had this on my s16 and was a skimming imperfection! had it redone, don't know the measurements, and it was fine

also had a split in the vacuum pipework at the back of the head (s16 engine) that made it hunt and do gay things

was it a DIY gasket change or a garage job?

happy bday btw

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 04:51
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
DIY Gasket change with a mechanic + my non knowledgeable self lol. they took 18Fal off of the head, i changed the crank pulley with my old engine one which had'nt slipped and it turned over by hand ok after timing.
The dodgy revs calm down after about a minute then its fine.
How would i test to see if the valve is bent? What about the tappets, could this also be whats making this annoying sound?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 05:13
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Just to add, after its running for a minute or two it runs fine, untill i stop then it sometimes stalls - nothing caused by me with the clutch.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 05:15
rikky 🦔

Post #8
doesn't take much to bend the valves though turning it over really. have you got a compression tester?

there still sounds like an air/vacuum leak or something somewhere

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 05:33
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
might hav 2 borrow 1, lol. hopefully no bent valves.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 07:36
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Just had a look on the web about the tapping this was a random reply to someone else
Hi, if the tapping is coming from the top half of the engine then the chances are it will be one of the hydraulic lifters that operates the valves the chances of a valve been gone is pretty slim if it was a valve your car would start to miss fire.

These lifters can be replaced and it is quite a big job to do. But getting it done sooner rather than later could save you alot of money just in case it does cause a valve to break this could cause you to have a seized engine and might need new engine.

The lifters themselves might be able to be adjusted but this would need to be done by trained mechanic as it takes exact measurements to find out the right lifter to adjust and thats if their is room inside the lifters to adjust them slightly. If not then you will need to have all the lifters replaced as to get the one out you need to be able to get to all of them. Its difficult to tell for sure witch one is playing up so this is why they replace them all.

On older cars you used to be able to adjust them with spanner and screwdriver but they stopped making them like that because they was un-reliable and was always noisy so instead of a spring type valve they use hydraulic ones now witch all cant be adjusted this would need to be checked.

Is this true?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 18:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
failed lifters/hydraulic tappets are not very common on a pug....

to be fair that response isn't a million miles off the mark, but not at all applicable to a pug engine, "tappers" can drive and perform just fine, until that valve head/s decides its had enough and makes a bid for freedom....

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 18:10
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
right, so i'm looking at a possible bent valve/

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 18:11
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Heres another website i have looked at
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Causes-of-a-Continuous-Tapping-Sound-From-the-Engine&id=3224167
All of which the only symptoms i have are the constant tapping. I want to know exactly what this problem is, maybe a video of the engine starting and running might help?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 18:19
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I have a video of how my engine runs right now.. the tapping seems to have quieted down since i put in some oil treatment that quietens engines - apparantly.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 21:15
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
doesn't sound healthy at all Sad

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 21:52
mattyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Thats tappy as f*ck. you must have a vacume leak somewhere too. Not a healthy bunny mate. Needs some work there Sad

Previous china gti6 and Rallye owner.

Now a proud Astor Gti 6 owner.

Missing he BMW already...
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 21:58
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
lol, ran fine apart from gasket failure before i changed it

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 21:59
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
mattyrallye wrote:
Thats tappy as f*ck. you must have a vacume leak somewhere too. Not a healthy bunny mate. Needs some work there Sad

Vacuum leak? where are my options?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 22:45