displaying posts 76 to 86 of 86

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]

Author Subject: Just bought a v reg black gti 6 with 80 k on clock already broke
jpmatrix

Senior User

Post #76
It can be done with the engine in. You dont have to take the head off either. I wouldnt attempt unless you are confident and have the correct tools 2 of them being a torque wrench and micrometer to measure the journals.

Posted 30th Nov 2009 at 00:39
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #77
im just waiting to save money to pay a mechanic to look at the job as i dont have the skills. im still trying to get my head around how this could of happened. when me and chris got the sump off there was loads of putty squeezed round the sump so it looked as thougth someone had , had it before. do you reckon this could have anything to do with it. possible repair job?
Posted 1st Dec 2009 at 03:35
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
The standard sealent is Grey in Colour and really does stick the sump on so you know if it's been off before

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 1st Dec 2009 at 04:36
205gti306gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
jackcross1989 wrote:
im just waiting to save money to pay a mechanic to look at the job as i dont have the skills. im still trying to get my head around how this could of happened. when me and chris got the sump off there was loads of putty squeezed round the sump so it looked as thougth someone had , had it before. do you reckon this could have anything to do with it. possible repair job?

Hi Jack, I still can't believe this either! I had 5 ½ years of trouble free motoring with the car, and it seems like that has come back and bitten you on the arse in a big way! The timing is unbelieveable, if I'd kept the car a week longer, would it have happened to me?

I am truly gutted for you and I hope that it doesn't cost too much to fix and you get the car back on the road. It's a great car and I really cherished it, I know I've said it before, but there were no indications of any impending doom on the horizon!

I spoke to my dad who used to be a rally driver and built and maintained his own cars, he said big ends used to go all the time before baffled sumps were invented and that a big end going is usually down to oil starvation and it only needs to be starved of oil for a second and then it's too late, he said you start to hear what sounds like a tapping noise, like the tappets are getting louder and unless you recognise it and turn the engine off immediately, it's too late and the tapping gets louder and louder until the big end goes.

If that's the case here I don't know what might have caused the oil starvation. The oil and filter were changed only 1000 miles ago at the pug dealer (I can email you the invoice if you like). Can the oil pump fail on these engines? Could the new oil filter have had a defect? I don't know.

I can tell you that the sump has never been off (to my knowledge) in my time owning the car.

Like I said, I am genuinely gutted for you and I hope you get it fixed soon and doesn't cost too much.

Marc.

RED SEAT Leon Cupra R 225, 55-reg, 19k miles
BLACK 306 GTi-6,V-reg, 81k miles - Now Sold
RED 205 GTi 1.9, E-reg, 92k miles - Soon For Sale
Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 16:37
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #80
stupid question but presumably the stalling would be a side issue now could trying to bump start it with a tow car cause oil starvation sufficient to knacker a big end?
Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 16:56
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #81
Jack,

Just seen this - didn't realise you had just bought the car, not good, I feel for you Sad

As for the reason for the big-end failing - in my opinion it's not something that just happens, and I wouldn't say these engines are prone to it. However, there's no obvious reasons for yours going.

At the end of the day, the ONLY reason a big-end can fail is through metal to metal contact with the crank journal. What normally stops this? The oil. So, the reason for failure WILL be something oil related - my best guesses would be:

1. Poor quality oil has been used, with insufficient film strength, or a good oil has been used but it has broken down or become contaminated, and has lost it's film strength / lubricating properties.

2. Low oil pressure - possibly caused by a blocked oil pump pick-up, or by excessively worn big-end / main bearings. The oil pumps on these don't fail, and they have a very well designed oil control system - so supply / starvation isn't normally the problem - it's normally caused by the pressure being lost further down the line. Sometimes the oil pumps lose their drive from the crank - but this is only an issue on the early engines which had a friction driven sprocket. Your engine will have the later key-wayed sprocket, so this won't have been the problem.

I have done a quote for you for both options - replacing the crank / bearings in-situ, and replacing the engine - will email it over shortly.

I have a good engine here, and I have a crank I could prepare ready to fit - so it could be sorted quickly either way, could book you in anytime from next Monday onwards.

Cheers
Rich

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 17:14
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
al4x wrote:
stupid question but presumably the stalling would be a side issue now could trying to bump start it with a tow car cause oil starvation sufficient to knacker a big end?

The stalling can be related to a big-end going - when they pick-up there is a huge amount of friction between the big-end bearing and crankshaft - which can slow the engine to stalling point.

As for bump starting, nothing to do with it - as long as the engines turning, so is the oil pump - so the engine will be getting good oil pressure. The only circumstances in which this wouldn't be true is if it was low on oil or had a blocked pick-up etc.

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 2nd Dec 2009 at 17:19
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #83
cheers everyone for advice and help, i think its just a case of crap luck. cheers for the quotes rich it is much apreciated, but i only just brought the car so im a bit stuck for cash and my dad friend said he would either help me fit and engine or help rebuild it. yeah i did notice when i drove it 10 minutes b4 it completely went there was a slight knocking sound so i pulled over but then it went away, but then it obv come back.

hopefully i will get it back on the road for christmas, as im having to resort to the bus and walking for the time being ( and i hate buses) i tried getting insured on my mum or dads car but as im only 20 and my no claims are on the 306 ive been quoted nothing less than a grand. also temporary insurance doesnt seem to be out there for under 25s.

by the way rich just looked at that supercharged 306 you told me you were doing on the phone, looks awesome! wish i had more money and would get that done haha!

cheers
Posted 6th Dec 2009 at 17:06
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
glad it is going to be sorted for you mate. If you need any help or advise, you know where i am
Posted 6th Dec 2009 at 17:48
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #85
cheers chris much apreciated,
my dad friend gave me a quote, but to rebuild was about 900-1000 quid so i think this is around what im gonna have to pay which is a big kick in the balls. so dont look like its gonna be on the road for a long time with aprenticeship wages Sad.
the car isnt really worth anything at the moment is it?
just that i cant afford to buy or replace and engine, and was thinking of selling so at least i got some wheels.
will replaceing the engine devalue the car alot?
Posted 8th Dec 2009 at 00:06
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
900-1000 from a friend seams a bit steep to be honest.

you could do it your slef for atleast half that
Posted 8th Dec 2009 at 01:43

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]