displaying posts 51 to 75 of 86

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: Just bought a v reg black gti 6 with 80 k on clock already broke
andrewrallye

Post #51
Before you rip the guys head off, it is possible that the owner didn't know or realise there was a fault. Unless you are mechanically adept it is amazing what you can miss, bearing in mind you road tested it and your dad drove it. If you suspect foul play, like heavy oil or stp or something like that has been done to hide the noise then you have a big case. But you require an independent report from a respected garage thats not also going to rip you off, they wont do this for free, or speak to the AA or RAC. Do you or your dad have breakdown cover? I suggest you dont strip anything until someone like that has advised you first, photograph everything, and go from there. If there is foul play I think you may have a case for small claims court. Any way bad news, but there seems to be a good collection of guys able to help and advise. Keep us posted.Smile

E reg 205GTI non sunroof maybe for sale m.o.t'd ideal rally, trackday car, also have 6 engine and box available
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 03:23
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #52
quite right andrew, I know of a black rallye that was bought fairly locally here that was a tapper, been through 2 owners since in the past 12 months or so and still taps.

first lad only knew as I told him about it, then he did say it had had a recent belt and had hte head off for a few valves, but they didnt change any guides Doh

he sold it on to a girl in the midlands, now its been sold on again, I believe carl chambers has it the poor bugger!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 03:49
205gti306gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
This was my car, I sold it to Jack last sunday!!!! He just emailed me and I've replied to him.

I am absolutely gutted for him, he'd been looking for a year for a decent one and I thought I had sold one to him.

I am a 100% honest bloke (I know anyone would say that, but I am), I have always had it serviced at Peugeot and anything that has needed doing on it has been done, but in my time owning it (5 ½ years, 34k miles) it has needed nothing major, just usual wear and tear stuff.

It had the cambelt, rollers, tensioners and water pump done at 57k miles and it was not a tapper. I bought it from a Peugeot dealer with 46k miles and I checked that, believe me.

It was only just serviced in the summer, about 1000 miles ago, wouldn't they have heard something? As I just emailed Jack, I owned it for 5 ½ years and it hasn't made any new noises or anything recently. It was just MOT'd a few weeks ago and only needed an anti-roll bar drop link and some p-bushes replacing and an exhaust clamp.

Do we know for sure it is a big end? What would cause that to fail? It's never run low on oil or water, it never even needed topping up on oil between services, I've always checked oil and water regularily. It's never overheated. It's genuine 81k miles.

Is there anything else it could be?

I want to do as much as I can to help Jack as he was so happy to get this car and I feel absolutely gutted for him.

If anyone can help by firing questions at me that I can answer, please do and I will answer them from my 5 ½ year knowlegde of the car.

I am happy to pop down and see Jack and the car, he's only 40-50 miles from me, but I don't know what I can do?

Sad Sad Sad

RED SEAT Leon Cupra R 225, 55-reg, 19k miles
BLACK 306 GTi-6,V-reg, 81k miles - Now Sold
RED 205 GTi 1.9, E-reg, 92k miles - Soon For Sale
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 04:53
jimmah

Regular

Post #54
Gutted for you mate, another new 6 owner in Southampton with problems, I've had mine 6 months and seems like I'm off the road more often than on the road.

Have rebuilt the top end, eventually found my water leak, and now just to investigate a sound which may resemble this
chris with a pug wrote:
If it was a big end bearing you would know straight away as you car would cound like spanners going round in a washing machine

At medium-high revs, there is a noise which occurs when changing gear (not crunching gears).

i am aware that my clutch is shagged, and because of various oil (crankshaft oil seals - still to do only a slow one) and water leaks, probably hasn't helped my case.

Any ideas chris??

Sorry for hi-jacking!

1998 (S) Phase 2 Diablo Red GTI-6
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 05:21
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
That noise could be anything really, drive shafts ok?

Was a shame when I heard Jacks car as it is absolutly mint. But had the dreaded bottom end knock and we removed the sump to confirm.

I am sure Rich or miles can sort something out for you with out you having to sell any body parts
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 05:25
jimmah

Regular

Post #56
Yeah, pretty sure they're ok, I went through 3 on my 106 in a month, a few years ago now though.

Could be a bearing somewhere?? It still pulls fine through the range. Its a weird one.

I was supposed to be going down to miles this week for my clucth to be done, but that went tits up at my end, credit card problems !

The clutch is ok for now, but it's getting worse. I know the crankshaft oil seals need doing but the leak is so slight I'm not so worried for now.

1998 (S) Phase 2 Diablo Red GTI-6
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 06:07
205gti306gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
Chris, thanks for helping Jack out with this, I just don't understand it.

Are you sure it is the big end? I swear to god it was not making any unusual noises before I sold it, surely this would make a noise that I would hear before going wouldn't it? I know my way around cars.

It was serviced by a Peugeot garage only 1000 miles ago, they didn't mention anything and surely they would hear something, wouldn't they?

I don't get it. I'm not a dishonest bloke.

Jack was so happy and I am so gutted.

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 06:10
205gti306gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
What would cause a big end to go, if that's what it is?

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 06:13
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
To be fair it only sounded like one had gone, and they can just let go. Its really weird, we only took the sump off and found large chunks of metal in there. it definetly a big end, but with out stripping it further there not a lot else I can say.

And its normally oil strvation or oil break down that causes them to go
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 06:21
205gti306gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
I'm absolutely gutted. I just don't understand, it was serviced 1000 miles ago and the oil and filter were changed.

It's never run low on oil, not in the time I've had it, and it was definitely not making any unusual noises.

Make sure you and Jack keep me in the loop, I want to help out where I can, but it seems like just a horrible stroke of bad luck for Jack, but I don't feel good about it Sad

I emailed Jack earlier, but I suppose my words aren't going to be much comfort to him.

As you can see by the car, I have cherished it and I just don't understand this. Unsure

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 06:46
jaydog81

Regular

Post #61
205gti306gti wrote:
I'm absolutely gutted. I just don't understand, it was serviced 1000 miles ago and the oil and filter were changed.

It's never run low on oil, not in the time I've had it, and it was definitely not making any unusual noises.

Make sure you and Jack keep me in the loop, I want to help out where I can, but it seems like just a horrible stroke of bad luck for Jack, but I don't feel good about it Sad

I emailed Jack earlier, but I suppose my words aren't going to be much comfort to him.

As you can see by the car, I have cherished it and I just don't understand this. Unsure

It could just be that it went at the time he was in it and life has a tendancy to kick you in the nuts where it hurt's from time to time.

Gota feel for the poor fella.

Me personally would contibute something this guy's gona need a new engine!

I owned a motocross bike few years back. I sold it to a young lad for

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Team i live for working,Paying bills and funding my hobbies. I wish my life could be just living for a pink "I love the 6 sticker".Laugh my ass off
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 16:28
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
I was talking to Chris about this and was pointed towards this thread,
As said Big ends can be funny old thing's they either last forever or fail at lower milage's, It's just a XU thing I hate to say,
It could be a bad rod which wasn;t quite round when fitted or a tolance not just right again from new

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 16:34
205gti306gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
miles wrote:
I was talking to Chris about this and was pointed towards this thread,
As said Big ends can be funny old thing's they either last forever or fail at lower milage's, It's just a XU thing I hate to say,
It could be a bad rod which wasn;t quite round when fitted or a tolance not just right again from new

I'm just baffled by this and gutted for Jack, I am a 100% honest bloke and it showed no signs of anything out of the usual and as I said previously it was serviced 1000 miles ago in the summer by a Peugeot garage and the oil and filter were changed and I always check when I get the car back that the work was actually done, and it was, there was a new filter on there and the oil was fresh and even before I sold it I always check the oil level on the indicator on the dash when you turn the ignition on and the oil level was fine, I don't think it had moved since the service. It never even needed topping up between services.

I'm mystified and gutted. Sad

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 19:20
chrisrobbo

Post #64
big ends on these engines have a habit of spinning especialy if it gets an oil surge. Its just one of them things. If the car was at full temp when test driven and all was ok then its just bad luck imo.

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 20:34
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #65
cheers for support guys/ gals. the car was making no sound whatsoever when i bought it and marc seemed 100 percent legit. i think its just extremely bad luck on my behalf. im surprised they just go, because i wasnt even ragging the car. is a shame as i was looking so forward to driving it. i think im gonna have to buy and engine , as chris told me this would be the cheapest way to resolve the problem
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 21:39
jpmatrix

Senior User

Post #66
chris with a pug wrote:
To be fair it only sounded like one had gone, and they can just let go. Its really weird, we only took the sump off and found large chunks of metal in there. it definetly a big end, but with out stripping it further there not a lot else I can say.

And its normally oil strvation or oil break down that causes them to go

Are you 100% sure the chunks of metal are from the big end bearing? What do the bits look like?

Seems a bit weird the stalling he mentioned is related to big end bearings failing.

The material could come from anywhere.

To the OP, sorry to here this. Im just a stones throw away from you as I am based in Bishopstoke.

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 22:13
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #67
oh k jp matrix, i woudnt know if it was the bearings, but its just that me and chris took the sump off and chris said it was. also he could tell by the sound. bishopstoke!!!! ive never seen any gti 6's about round fair oak bishopstoke way. thought i was the only one now. my m8 used to have a gold one but ive never seen you. the metal is very thin and ranged from about tiny 1mm bits to bit about 2 inches long. i will post a video of the engine running in a minute.
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 22:21
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #68
hi all , this is the video of the car running its on my m8s photobucket
sorry i dont know how to put links up
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l235/Tubbbbb/?action=view¤t=Video012.flv
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 22:28
jpmatrix

Senior User

Post #69
Link not working.

Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 22:34
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
It works for me

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 28th Nov 2009 at 22:54
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
Hate to say be very wary of buying a engine removed from a car, Most engine's I get supplied like this to fit in 205's etc are tapper's or in a poor state so need removing and rebuilding again

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 29th Nov 2009 at 00:55
stebro-gti-6

Post #72
I had a Vauxhall crank reground & new shells & only cost about

China Blue on Black Clones
Posted 29th Nov 2009 at 01:30
jpmatrix

Senior User

Post #73
I think the best option for now IMO is to remove all the big end bearings first and inspect the journals for damage. Its not that hard to do as long you take a few simple steps to remove them.

I would start from one end of the crankshaft and remove one at a time labeling them. You also have take note of where each conrod bolt comes from ( 2 of them ). It is also important to remember which way the conrod cap end comes off. Labeling each item is the best way of doing it.

Each time you are taking a conrod end off make sure you rotate the crankshaft and the conrod you are working on, is at the lowest position (nearest to the sump). That way you can push the piston and conrod up to give you room to remove the big end bearings.

Once you removed the bearings I would get a micrometer and measure each journal horizontal and vertical to see if its perfectly round. Check for any scouring or damage.

If everything is in the clear you can buy a set of big end bearings for

Posted 29th Nov 2009 at 13:53
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #74
oh k cheers for the help im just looking at some more info at taking out the shells. is this a job that is easy enough to do as the engine is still in and i dont really have any machanical experiance. and i dont want to fook up the car even more, or is this something i should get a mechanic to do , cheers
Posted 29th Nov 2009 at 20:46
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
your half way to getting to the bearings.

Just remove the oil pump and windage tray. they you will see all the end caps. remove them one at a time to find the one that has spun.

You will need to get the crank out at some point, either get in measured or measure it your self. then you will need to measure all the conrods for any stretch
Posted 29th Nov 2009 at 22:00

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4