displaying posts 1 to 25 of 86

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Just bought a v reg black gti 6 with 80 k on clock already broke
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
have you checked that all the belts are ok ? dosent sound good tho if you heard clunking and rattling from the engine tho Sad

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:23
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #2
all belts are intact thanks i did check that a minute ago. i might take out the stepper motor and give it a clean , but that woundnt explain why it doesnt start and also the clunking noise. ye bit of a pain just my luck i had literally driven it for the first time for 30 minutes !
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:26
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
also the fact you have just bought it. how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking?

Was it from a company or private?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:27
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
you just bought this of here if im correct the black one , have you checked the cambelt? have you checked the spark plugs ? your cat could have broken down inside itself it could be anything , but check the spark plugs

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:32
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #5
paid 2300 full pug service history the guy seemed legit. ye im just about to have a good look. cambelt was done at 56000.
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:35
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
you need to take the casing off to see if the cambelt is ok mate, other wise you wont be able to see it

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:37
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #7
already taken black caseing off to see if cambelt is ok, and its still there thankgod! just gonna get the car in garage so i can work on it tonite . what are the main things to check ill check spark plugs? is it worth taking the stepper motor out and cleaning it? cheers
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:47
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
How much! could the clunking not be something as simple as engine mounts? (If its very shagged) but you didnt state where the sounds coming from? ... i presume it was fine on the test drive?

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:49
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #9
perfectly fine on the test drive, and my dad drove it 40 miles home and it was fine, the sound , sounded as tho it came from lower engine but not certain. as it only made it baldy when i bumped it from towing and turnt it straight off again.
cheers
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:51
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
main thing cambelt intact so thats a very good thing, could be a number of things but check spark plugs, try pressing the big red button in the engine bay thats your emergnecy fuel cut of switch, yours has been bypased Matt LOL

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:56
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
thanks buddy, i know that! LOL but i have been wondering why for a long time? care to share lol

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 22:57
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
ride height , blasting down country lanes , bang no petrol stranded LOL

is your fuel pump priming when you turn the igntion on can you hear it ?

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:02
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
is it easy to reverse this for when i make it higher? (ideally free) LOL

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:02
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
yes very easy to do wouldnt take 5 minutes to solve Thumbs up

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:07
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Good LOL got it back now, will take it for a spin soon Devil

sorry, il stop spamming your thread jack!

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:08
jaydog81

Regular

Post #16
Does'nt sound great. Stepper motor should be causing that mechanical clunk you heard.

I had this happen to my old car.(ford)

The fly attached to the camshaft which is at the bottom of the engine sheered of inside engine. Made a clunky noise. Then i lost power. Its the same affect as if the belt would have come of. No top end drive and i f_ucked head too.

Does it have compression when you bump it?

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Team i live for working,Paying bills and funding my hobbies. I wish my life could be just living for a pink "I love the 6 sticker".Laugh my ass off
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:18
205gti6_ro

Regular

Post #17
big end bearings cause clunking?
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:21
spike_uk06

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I'm gonna go for..... Top engine mount and MAP/Stepper/lambda sensors playing up..

Team China
Team Pirelli
Team Cracked Bumper
20th Nov 1999 she was born
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:46
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #19
cheers for replies, ive just checked cambelt, timing , spark plugs they are all fine. also checked anything suspicious around and under engine, but cant find anything, will be checking sensors soon, also chargeing the battery as it went flat.

cheers
ps how would i know if it was bearings?
Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 01:48
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
as suggested, may as well check the top engine mount.

seeing as its free:

FAQ Mount

if its anything like the one pictured here, could well make a Very nasty noise on start up / or when revving etc.

Crack

Doubtful, but worth a check Thumbs up

Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 01:55
jaydog81

Regular

Post #21
jackcross1989 wrote:
cheers for replies, ive just checked cambelt, timing , spark plugs they are all fine. also checked anything suspicious around and under engine, but cant find anything, will be checking sensors soon, also chargeing the battery as it went flat.

cheers

You would have to strip im afraid.

Sad

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Team i live for working,Paying bills and funding my hobbies. I wish my life could be just living for a pink "I love the 6 sticker".Laugh my ass off
Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 02:07
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
jaydog81 wrote:
jackcross1989 wrote:

cheers

Sad
LOL Btw he doesnt mean he will tell you if you strip

Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 02:14
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #23
i just got the stepper motor out and the end is covered in black soot so ill give that a clean up and see, ill also check the mounts. im not ready to strip yet , mite do once i get this running again tho Big grin
Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 02:24
jaydog81

Regular

Post #24
CUJ wrote:
oecken wrote:
jaydog81 wrote:
jackcross1989 wrote:

cheers

Sad
LOL Btw he doesnt mean he will tell you if you strip

Laugh my ass off

Yeh i will have to use the term strip just solely relating to your engine as oecken has just pointed.

LOL

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 02:29
jackcross1989

Regular

Post #25
hi all cheers for advice ive managed to get it started now!!!! but there is a definate tapping noise coming from around the inlet manifold and it get louder and closer tapping sound together the higher the revs! sounds very unhealthy, hmm it doesnt sound good , any ideas?
Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 03:14

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last