displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Passenger side track rod removal
idnan

Regular

Post #1
Hi guys, I need to remove and replace the passenger side track rod on my car due to it being seized and my car being in desperate need of tracking.

I've done the drivers side before and it wasn't too bad, but the other side is a bit different. There is a plastic/rubber cap on the inner end of the track rod. Will pulling this off allow the track rod to be unscrewed? Its above the right wishbone in the picture below:

According to Haynes, the passenger side rack gaiter can't be replaced without taking the whole rack off and must be done by only the dealers LOL . TBH I can't be arsed to do that, so can I do it without removing the passenger side rack gaiter?
Posted 14th Nov 2009 at 22:59
t11hac

Senior User

Post #2
IF its still on the car I would get a blow torch and heat the arm up and then try to turn it then look at replacing the arm that you have spear

Team Black Rallye
Posted 14th Nov 2009 at 23:13
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Just blow torch it or apply liberal amounts of plus gas.

Mine was tracked yesterday and everything was seized, plenty of blow torch action and away she went.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 01:21
rich-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Nothing is Siezed with heat Wink

I had a c*nt Getting a Lambda probe out of my cat, Wouldnt come free with me hanging off it on the ramp, but i carried on regardless fitting my decat and stuck it in the vice, bit of heat around the hole for two mins and it came free without even wrestling it Smile

I'd only be changing the track rod if it was bent

Cool

RIP Pete Sims
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 02:09
idnan

Regular

Post #5
Thanks for the advice chaps, will try to get some heat on it this week if I have to. The problem arises from the small selection of decent wheel alignment places around here. The only one with a decent reputation is ATS, but they refused to use heat. I've used Kwik Fit and Lodge Tyres and they both were crap.

Kwik Fit in fact have ruined the place where the spanner fits onto the track rod by using mole grips on it. Thats partly why I was thinking of changing the rod itself.

I've found two places quite close to where I'm playing football tommorow and will see if they're open tommorow.
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 02:17