displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Main loom connector
anthony h

Post #1
Hello,

I am attempting to removing my dash as the heater matrix has failed but have got stuck with disconnecting the main loom connector in the engine bay.

Does anybody know the correct size allen key I need to undo the bolt in the middle as I can't seem to find one that fits it correctly.

Thank you
Anthony

Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 17:50
rikky 🦔

Post #2
if you really struggle, you could always stick a flat headed screwdriver in there into the far edges so the sides of the head grip the hex pattern. i did this before without rounding the pattern off, actually due to laziness rather than having the right size key. they aren't in tight anyway

i had it in a basic allen key set though i think. is it a torx head or is it definitely a regular hex pattern?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 17:57
anthony h

Post #3
Hiya,

It looks like an allen key but I think somebody might have already had a go at removing it and damaged the head.

I will have a go with a screwdriver.

Thanks for your help.

Anthony
Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 18:16
anthony h

Post #4
Just managed to undo the bolt with a screwdriver and found it was a torx head!

Now that's out I'm a little unsure how to separate the loom connector. Any advice would be great.

Thank you
Anthony
Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 19:32
rikky 🦔

Post #5
my black plastic surround was a bit broke anyway so this just lifted off, then i think i just prized them apart slowly with my hand behind the dash and one hand on the other side [with the door open]

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 19:39
anthony h

Post #6
Hi Rikky,

I owe you a pint! Thanks for your help, that did the trick.

Thanks again!

Anthony

Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 19:56
rikky 🦔

Post #7
don't forget when you put the dash back in to reconnect the brake light switch within the steering column surround cos it's a ballache to do with the dash back in! once you take the dash out for the first time you can probably reduce the time it takes you by half to do it again. dead simple really

i don't wish to brag but i currently hold the landspeed record for dash removal in under 3 minutes completely Whistle (stripped out 306 mind you.. no matrix or electrics!)

noticed you are only in Macc.. if you get stuck give us a shout, can help out at weekends, only in Stockport and have a nice big garage

Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 20:04
anthony h

Post #8
Thanks for the info on the brake light switch and the offer of help, I very well might need it! Will see how I get on now.

Thank you
Anthony
Posted 11th Nov 2009 at 20:47