displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: help bleeding coolant system
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #1
HI i'm in need of some helpo bleeding my coolant system. I've done searches and i'm kind of clued up on the procedure but i'm still a little unsure if i've done it right. I can't believe it's got three bleed points which seems silly to me as all the other cars i've owned had only one.

I Bled the system of coolant by unscrewing the bleed point located at the bottom Left of the Rad.

Once the system was drained i then tightened the bleed screw back up and filled the system with fresh coolant.

The only problem i had was it would only accept 2
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:11
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The three are the heater matrix one u have pictured, the one on the thermostat housing and the one on the top of the rad.

Have you made a header tank with a lemonade bottle?
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:26
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #3
chris with a pug wrote:
The three are the heater matrix one u have pictured, the one on the thermostat housing and the one on the top of the rad.

Have you made a header tank with a lemonade bottle?

No mate, i just poured it straight into the Water tank. I've undone the thermostat one and i'm about to do the matrix one.
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:45
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I would make a header tank its really easy to blead then
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:46
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #5
chris with a pug wrote:
I would make a header tank its really easy to blead then

What does the blue peter header tank do mate? gravity feed or something or just stops waste overflow?

Should i run the engine whilst doing this or not?

cheers mate!
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:50
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
it just stops air getting back in.

Run the engine, wait for the thermostat to open then open the bleed nipples one at a time, starting with the heater one, then the thermostat then the rad.

It takes longer for the car to heat up than to bleed it to be hnest
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:52
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #7
chris with a pug wrote:
it just stops air getting back in.

Run the engine, wait for the thermostat to open then open the bleed nipples one at a time, starting with the heater one, then the thermostat then the rad.

It takes longer for the car to heat up than to bleed it to be hnest

So once up to temp, open one at a time like you say. Open the bleed nipples until the coolant comes out then close and repeat with the other two. Job Done?

I'll do that now then, thanks for your help!
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:57
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
yeah, but be careful, you will get burnt by the steam/water
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 21:00
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #9
I have done all those steps. The original coolant bottle is full, i undone that matrix screw and no water came out at all, the one i pictured.

I undone the thermostat screw and coolant did come out but now no water is coming out. Its the same story with the rad screw unless i squeeze the fat coolant pipe then coolant comes out after a few squeezes. The pipe is red hot as is the thermostat housing. The coolant in the tank is warm. I dont know what i've done wrong?
Surely the coolant is circulating around the engine otherwise it wouldnt be hot?
I'm worried because coolant isnt coming out of the thermostat housing at all now though. hmmmmm i'm puzzled.
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 21:47
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #10
Filled up with more coolant. Coolant now getting to the thermostat. I have no idea where the matrix bleed screw is. i did have an idea and pictured it but when i opened what i thought was the matrix screw no coolant came out? I'm stuck with a car i can't drive until this is sorted.

Any idea's Fellow owners?

Cheers
Steve.
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 22:29
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
the picture is the matrix one. try turning your heaters on see if that helps.

Is the water pump ok?
Posted 9th Nov 2009 at 00:56
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #12
chris with a pug wrote:
the picture is the matrix one. try turning your heaters on see if that helps.

Is the water pump ok?

I had the heaters on full (on hot)
The engine has never over heated to date touch wood so i think the pump is fine?
I'm really stressed about this... When does the thermostat open?

The coolant pipes get very hot but there is'nt much pressure.

Posted 9th Nov 2009 at 03:14
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #13
Trted to bleed the system again today, once up to temp i took the cap off and it blew a hell of alot of red hot coolant out all over the place. Throffy red hot steamy bubbly coolant coming out of all bleed points except the matrix bleed screw?

This is proving really hard, can some please help in simple terms how to correct this before my engine is damaged. My heaters are hot but not as hot as my 206 Hdi so there must be air in the system still? Does anyone have an answer as to why no coolant is coming out of the matrix screw but the heaters remain hot? Surely someone must know why?
Posted 10th Nov 2009 at 16:30
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14
turning the heaters on will not help as there are no valves, just leave the screw open till air comes out, you may need to remove the screw rather than just loosening it.

don't forget it takes ruddy ages to warm up just sat there idling.

do the extra header tank thing, that works a treat, I changed a matrix on a 306 last night and got all the air out in one go as I was filling it up with a large funnel wedged in the expansion tank.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Nov 2009 at 16:51
rikky 🦔

Post #15
blow down the overflow hose

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 10th Nov 2009 at 16:59
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #16
welshpug! wrote:
turning the heaters on will not help as there are no valves, just leave the screw open till air comes out, you may need to remove the screw rather than just loosening it.

don't forget it takes ruddy ages to warm up just sat there idling.

do the extra header tank thing, that works a treat, I changed a matrix on a 306 last night and got all the air out in one go as I was filling it up with a large funnel wedged in the expansion tank.

Thats a good idea, I'll buy one of those funnels with the huge long neck and try that?
Take the matrix screw out and run it until fluid is released? I hope it works, thats the only thing in the world i wan't right now to be honest.

Thanks for the help

Ste.
Posted 10th Nov 2009 at 17:04
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #17
Ok, i've got to the bottom of this now. The reason why there was no coolant getting to the matrix, yet the heaters were sort of hot was because the matrix rubber bleed pipe was gunged up. I cleared the blockage using a long nail as this was all i had to hand and it worked a treat.

Regards
Ste.
Posted 29th Dec 2009 at 04:53
cjslator

Regular

Post #18
I have been having problems with mine for a while, went away for xmas and realised that it had no anti-freeze in. I rang a mate who took that pressure cap off to allow the expanding water to come out.

Took water out of it today and put in some anti-freeze, bled up with the above method (pop bottle in top) and it worked perfect first time.

I didn't even have you undo the thermostat housing out either, top job whoever thought of the pop bottle idea. Thanks
Posted 29th Dec 2009 at 04:03