displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Extra play in gears
gaz likes shmeat

Senior User

Post #1
I have done a search for this already, so sorry if it has already been covered but I could not find anything.

Yesterday I noticed that my gear box felt different, like there was much more play in all of the gears then usual. So for example, when it is in any gear, i can push the stick further into the gear by about an inch or so, this was not happening before yesterday. And also when i was stationary (at lights) a couple of times, i thought i was in 1st gear but when i tried to set off it was clear that i wasn't in a gear at all so had to pull it out and put it back into 1st again.

Hope i've not made this sound more complicated then it should be! Anyone know what could be up? Hope my box ain't shafted...just spent a f*cking fortune on getting early xmas shopping done!

Cheers
Posted 4th Nov 2009 at 19:37
gaz likes shmeat

Senior User

Post #2
anyone got any ideas on this please? Doesn't seem to be getting any worse but it is slightly worrying!
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:35
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Its more likely to be the linkage has some play in it. Might be worth checking that the stick isn't about to snap off just above its balljoint thingy - have a look under the gaiter.

Nothing to see here
Posted 8th Nov 2009 at 20:51
haywes

Regular

Post #4
I had a problem similar - I could move the stick around loads when it was in gear, and couldn't always tell when it was in gear. Not sure if it's exactly the same problem, but check to see if the bush in the end of the linkage is okay, or if it's like mine, check that it's not disappeared!

I couldn't get the bush on its own, so had to get a new linkage, but it didn't cost stupid money.

Bianca White 306 GTI-6
White Mazda RX-7 FC3S
Team Nurburgring
Posted 14th Nov 2009 at 22:04