displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: alloy crank pulleys
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
There has been some debate scattered around on the forum regarding the alloy crank pulleys and effects of loosing the harmonic dampener on the OE crank pulley! Im interested in replacing my pulleys with 3 rich_w jobbies because the bearings are knackered and making irritating whining noises which make the engine sound crap!

harmonic dampener

Also been browsing a few other websites today from companies who do engine balancing etc and have come up with a few questions purely to cause a debate on the subject and get some solid answers from the engineers and experts amongst you!

Firstly by using a lightened crank pulley without a lightened flywheel would you be making the overall balance of the engine lopsided and cause the crank to want to twist or cause premature wear to the bearings on one side?

Also would this be the case if you were to have a lightened flywheel and not a lightened crank pulley?

Is this the reason the crank pulley is so heavy on the XU10J4RS - to counterbalance the weight of the flywheel?

If the effects of these are negligible - as I understand the alloy crank pulleys that are available are unbalanced - would it therefore be worth sending it off to an engineering shop to be balanced? The timing hole in them would surely make the item unbalanced and produce vibration at speed which cant be healthy? Or is it such a small effect that it isnt worth worrying about?

Then its back to whether the dampener on the OE pulley really is absolutely necessary on a 4 cylinder engine with such a short crank? From what ive researched these are more necessary on engines with long cranks v8's v12's etc!

Was it used by Peugeot because it is absolutely necessary or more 'to be on the safe side' or that they were used on many PSA cars at the time?

I would just like to add im in no way questioning the quality of the products rich supplies because we all know they are pukka and there is certainly not evidence anywhere to suggest crank pulleys have caused or contributed to any kind of engine failure - I just thought this would be an interesting subject to cover as there seems to be no concerntrated debate on the subject on this forumSmile

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 1st Nov 2009 at 22:28
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I've been using one for over 2 years now, no problems whatsoever, tis a good mod and handy come cambelt change time, in my view you dont need the harmonic dampener rubber thingy,

They are better with a lightened flywheel though although you can use them on their own as i did for ages, also you dont need to get them balanced as they are a quality peice of kit to begin with,

Just buy one, fit it, enjoy it and then forget about it LOL

Team Supercharged Gti-6 Ninja
Posted 1st Nov 2009 at 22:25
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Cheers Dave - any other opinions?

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 00:45
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
getting mine done soon by the man himself and will let you know. But i have heard nothing but good things about them Smile

Team allesclar ®

Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 00:51
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
It's as bad as the Turbo and Supercharger route, There is also RATTLER by TCI Automotive which is worth a read or here http://www.vibrationfree.co.uk/Rattler.htm

But the old XU 8v's all used a solid pulley without any problems along with loads of race engine's of 8v & 16v all with light or std flywheels which on the 1.9 GTi (205) is heavier than the Mi/Gti6 one

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 03:27