displaying posts 1 to 25 of 46

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: oil cooler / water question
rikky 🦔

Post #1
hey
just a quick one hopefully for someone who has done it

bear in mind this is the first time i've properly studied the flow of water on this engine or even the cooler setup on it so this may seem a bit newbish but want to double check what i proposed to do

this is an s16 iron block engine but i bet the flow is the same as the gti6 engine

below is a diagram of how the engine is setup at the moment:

i propose to ditch the standard setup because i wanted to run a proper cooler for a bit, but also in an attempt to ditch the standard tophose with the take-off on it, as it's a pain in the arse trying to route my intake setup under it as there's not enough play in it

judging by the kits you buy on ebay and from race places, typically the mocal setup, would something like this work:

(LOWER RAD HOSE NOT PICTURED Razz)

or am i totally on the wrong lines?

also, i'm blocking off that pink hose from the thermostat housing to the distribution block at the back, which used to go to the matrix, but this is long gone so feel it's doing no good really..

thoughts?? Thumbs up

rich

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 14:17
rikky 🦔

Post #2
30+ mins and no replies from car boffins Whistle very uncharacteristic for this site LOL

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 1st Nov 2009 at 20:06
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
rikky wrote:
30+ mins and no replies from car boffins Whistle very uncharacteristic for this site LOL

It's because you've put it in the correct section.. very uncharacteristic for this site LOL

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 1st Nov 2009 at 20:29
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
personally no, i am probably wrong. But in the first picutre you hvae a complete cycle.

In the second one you have no cycle. Where you have that "thermostat take off" wouldnt you attach that pipe to where the secondary radiator oil pipe comes from?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 04:07
fletch

Track Head

Post #5
Is that a 2 way pipe between the rad and thermostat? Laugh
Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 04:42
rikky 🦔

Post #6
maybe i should go pull my engine into my front room and take proper note cos the more i look at my diagrams the more they look f*ck all like what i have Laugh my ass off

should have mentioned my diagrams dont include the bottom hose for the driver side of the radiator which is unchanged Razz

i guess i could just put the new oil cooler sandwich plate onto the block with the std oil cooler/exchanger over it?

doesn't solve my tophose arseache though

anyone care to knock up a diagram of the best way to do it, fecking this split tophose off?

Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 14:40
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Well Ive kept the standard setup and just plumbed in the oil cooler 'piggyback style'

Didnt see the point in getting rid of the existing heater exchange as it actually helps warm the engine up quicker from cold.

Also meant I wasnt messing around trying to re-route the existing coolant system.

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 2nd Nov 2009 at 18:07
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #8
rikky wrote:
judging by the kits you buy on ebay and from race places, typically the mocal setup, would something like this work:

(LOWER RAD HOSE NOT PICTURED Razz)

thoughts?? Thumbs up

Confused

For starters, the mocal etc. kits you buy off ebay don't plumb in to the water system at all. No All you'll have is a sandwich plate with 2 connections (for oil to flow to & from the oil rad) and a thermostat which acts as a bypass valve to stop the oil from going out the hoses unless it reachs temperature. The thermostat btw is activated by the oil temperature not by a water connection Thumbs up

As for sacking off the stock heat exchanger I would have thought (and this is the way I'm planning on doing it) you simply cut that loop out of the system. That's the circuit an XSI, which uses similar rad setup but no oil cooler, uses. But are you keeping a rad which has the oil sandwich connections? If so I dunno whether you can just plug it up on the radiator itself, or just replace the heat exchanger circuit hose with 1 straight hose that goes from the Y splitter in the top hose, to the rad. But I guess that doesn't really solve your packaging issues.

Otherwise I'd just swap it for an XSI setup & rad, get a straight hose from thermostat housing to the rad top hose, then bottom hose from rad to distribution block at the back.

Either this helps, or I've got to go back to the drawing board also Laugh

PS - anybody know anybody who does alloy thermostat housings for these engines? Would like to replace the top hose with a regular coolant hose, and ideally do away with the proprietary Peugeot connectors which give me The Fear tbh.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 06:41
rikky 🦔

Post #9
"the fear" LOL

well the rad i have obviously has the formations at the bottom corner of the rad in a V shape pointing upwards that connect onto it - standard s16 rad, standard s16 engine. i forget how the xsi one was

i was under the impression that the normal cooler sandwich plates you get differ from the ones with the thermostat in, as there seems to be two on offer. last time i looked it looked like it had a third outlet but maybe this is why i ballsed my diagram up and its not actually a outlet as such Doh

also noticed that my thermostat housing outlets are a differing size from the radiator tophose outlet so i also need to sort something there, maybe running a custom rad or something so my proposed flexible tophose fits the same at both ends without reducers etc

so,

i could ditch the rad i'm using with the other outlets on it and just have the bottom right hose that goes round the block connected, the top hose connected directly to the thermostat, thereby ditching the heat exchanger, and then run my mocal cooler seperate from this? i could do with finding a single outlet thermostat that'd fit the s16 Hmm

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 13:27
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #10
HTH Thumbs up

S16 Blink

GTI6 Mellow

XSI Smile

It's the XSI direction I think you want to go - it's the simplest and no oil/water exchanger loop or Y splits in the top hose.

Only thing I'd be worried about is the hose connectors, whether bottom hose to distribution block at the back is different to the s16 hose (probably) and likewise new stat housing to rad top hose.

I am of course presuming that all these bits are interchangeable across XU lumps...?

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 14:54
rikky 🦔

Post #11
the xsi and gti6 main housing look different shape but the s16 and gti6 one look the same, dont know if they are interchangable though, i think Welshpug may know

the bleed screw for the s16 is in the actual smaller cover, not the main one like the gti6, so i would need the gti6 main housing, the adaptor plate for a 205 gti conversion, and a single outlet metal 205 gti smaller housing

then i could run an xsi water dizzy block and possibly radiator lower hose. i bet they are the same anyway, as mine at the moment is off a dturbo and fits the same [rotating clip style]

edit> i'm blocking the rear water dizzy outlet off that goes to the matrix, same with the one that is on the larger thermostat housing running to the matrix

you and fletch = very patient people, thanks Big grin

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 15:09
rikky 🦔

Post #12
by the way, to confuse you even more, my bog standard xsi had a heat exchanger LOL but this doesn't matter anyway as it's in a skip somewhere

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 15:06
fletch

Track Head

Post #13
Whats going on with that Gti-6 exploded diagram Mike, as it looks very odd round the thermostat housing and back of the block?
Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 15:08
rikky 🦔

Post #14
just another thought, the s16 has a metal pipe going behind the cam cover that goes to the back of the block i think. it shows there on the diagram, is it safe to say this can be disregarded if i ditch the exchange system? looks to go from the thermostat area, up above the head and back down to the water dizzy area. i'm sure it goes somewhere else though

edit>

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz272/richard306/engine_removal2_4.jpg

can just about make it out behind the heater hose stuck down near the head. fecking s16 has so many pipes Blink

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 17:11
fletch

Track Head

Post #15
rikky wrote:
just another thought, the s16 has a metal pipe going behind the cam cover that goes to the back of the block i think. it shows there on the diagram, is it safe to say this can be disregarded if i ditch the exchange system? looks to go from the thermostat area, up above the head and back down to the water dizzy area. i'm sure it goes somewhere else though

edit>

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz272/richard306/engine_removal2_4.jpg

can just about make it out behind the heater hose stuck down near the head. fecking s16 has so many pipes Blink

Is that not the heater matrix outlet?
Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:31
rikky 🦔

Post #16
no, the one infront of it, right in line with the top of the zorst manifold. quite hard to see. the matrix is the thicker one which is joined together numerous times LOL

(one closest to dipstick)

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:46
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
dipstick is quite apt in this thread Rikky
Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:50
rikky 🦔

Post #18
p*ss off popeye Razz

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:53
fletch

Track Head

Post #19
rikky wrote:
no, the one infront of it, right in line with the top of the zorst manifold. quite hard to see. the matrix is the thicker one which is joined together numerous times LOL

(one closest to dipstick)

ah yes, looks like pipe 7 in Cosmic's S16 diagram.
Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:54
rikky 🦔

Post #20
yeah that's the one. looks like part4 on the gti6 one too Unsure although never noticed it on the 6 engine

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:59
fletch

Track Head

Post #21
rikky wrote:
yeah that's the one. looks like part4 on the gti6 one too Unsure although never noticed it on the 6 engine

As said that 6 diagram is not correct.
Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 18:59
rikky 🦔

Post #22
cosmic spanner = fired

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 19:07
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #23
rikky wrote:
cosmic spanner = fired

Flip

what do you think, I'm making these diagrams up? It's what comes up under Servicebox. So f*ck all of y'all and if you're gonna fire someone, fire Peugeot parts dept (but we knew that already)!

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 19:16
rikky 🦔

Post #24
Laugh

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 19:16
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #25
Smile

Now you mentiopn it, that doesn't look quite right from memory, but there is at least 1 pipe goes from the stat housing round the back (to heater matrix and back of block) on the 6 engine.

Posted 3rd Nov 2009 at 19:23

Pages (2): [1] 2