displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Air intake direct throttle body.
jaydog81

Regular

Post #1
Phase 2/99 gti 6.

Been trying to get away from the downsides of puddles and achieve a better cold air feed for my intake.

My aim was to fit direct to the throttle body to eliminate this problem if ever and to keep a good cold air feed and avoid the hairdryer affect from the rad!

After some stripping down and hacking a few bits off here and there, all profesional of course!

1: removed duct from lower side of battery case which sticks out about 1".

2.Loosen off brake master cylinder outlet retaining bolts and twist brackets anti clockwise! Not to much though.

3.Reducer pipe from manifold to filter but keeping the air feed sensor pipe incorporated. People have removed these but the car just does'nt run correctly in my opinion its too heavy on air intake without that bypass.

4. Spent 2 hours fabricating stainless air inlet on front grill to replace standard ducting. forcing cold air directly underneath the filter and at the same time creating a barrier fron the warm radiator air eliminating boggy acceleration!

So 3-4 hours later completed and car runs perfectly and pick up is so much more responsive in a minor way i was'nt out to claim 10bhp like some could. Yeh rite!

Hope this helps anyone in a similar position i was thinking around!

jaydog81 has attached the following image:

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Team i live for working,Paying bills and funding my hobbies. I wish my life could be just living for a pink "I love the 6 sticker".Laugh my ass off
Posted 26th Oct 2009 at 23:11
soulnrok

Post #2
Looking good!

GTI-6
Posted 27th Oct 2009 at 00:06
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
To be sure mate I would put some jubilee clips on that rad hose instead of cable ties.

Other than that, good work.

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 27th Oct 2009 at 00:23
jaydog81

Regular

Post #4
Its only the silicone tubing to protect the actual rad pipe. Ties where cheaper than juby's!

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Team i live for working,Paying bills and funding my hobbies. I wish my life could be just living for a pink "I love the 6 sticker".Laugh my ass off
Posted 27th Oct 2009 at 00:28
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
jaydog81 wrote:
Its only the silicone tubing to protect the actual rad pipe. Ties where cheaper than juby's!

Ahh I see, that will be fine then Thumbs up

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 27th Oct 2009 at 00:39
eugmul

Regular

Post #6
Thumbs up

Looks good. I was thinkin of going down this similar route too. I was going to use the standard pipe as cold air feed with a heat sheid round the filter directly on the throttle body.
Posted 27th Oct 2009 at 20:24
c.a.r.

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I managed this on my old 1.8 XS.

Cost me

'99 1.8 XS - Sold
'00 GTi6 - Killed by armco
'01 Cabriolet 1.8 - Sold
'96 Eunos Roadster 1.8 Import
Posted 28th Oct 2009 at 02:58
jaydog81

Regular

Post #8
Yeh i agree thats why i come up with fabricating that inlet and to sheild warm air but give me a good cold air feed. It was a lot better once i fitted this and gave it some nuts:d

*jay81.
Phase 2.5/S-99
Posted 28th Oct 2009 at 03:06