displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: GTi-6 camshafts and manifolds in/on an XSi head
paulchin

Junior User

Post #1
Hi all, new to this forum but not to messing around with cars.

Have been looking into GTi-6'ing my 2.0 16V XSi recently (it's a XU10J4R engine). From what I've read on here, there seems to be quite a few differences between the J4RS (6) engine and mine, but hopefully enough similarities to allow my rather fixed view on the extent of my upgrade, which is planned as:
- swapping inlet and exhaust manifolds (and the cat of course to join my XSi centre section). (I've read the pictures write-up on how to swap the inlet manifold.)
- possibly fitting camshafts from a 6 (but not messing around with the bottom end at all)

I do have a couple of questions about some specific things though:
- can I just fit the 6 camshafts to my head, or will the valves hit the pistons as a result of the extra 0.9mm lift (I have 360 thou lift on mine, and 395 on the 6)? (I am hoping not, because the CR of my engine is lower, so I am assuming there is a bit more clearance than on a 6?) I have taken the head off this engine once aleady to mend a snapped cambelt (and 10 bent valves!), so not too keen to rip it off again in a hurry.
- I wasn't intending to fit cam spraybars either, not sure they're really needed?
- with the medusa exhaust manifold (which really is work of art!), is there a heat-shield fitted to the top? My current manifold has one, not sure if the 6 does too.
- would I need a 6 ECU to do it justice, or will my existing maps just cope (i.e. add more fuel) given the more freely-flowing nature of the new manifolds?

I know I'm not going to make the same power as a 6, but I would expect another 15-20 bhp or so from these mods?

(Why not buy a 6, someone will say? Well, if you can find me a 5-door one, great - otherwise I'm sticking with the XSi. Plus I trust the car now, and have also sorted a load of bits on there - don't really want to throw that away and inherit a load of other problems!)

I appreciate most of these things are on here already, but I couldn't find any answers to these quite focussed questions of mine.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 21:03
c.a.r.

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Buy a complete engine & loom then fit it in one hit.

'99 1.8 XS - Sold
'00 GTi6 - Killed by armco
'01 Cabriolet 1.8 - Sold
'96 Eunos Roadster 1.8 Import
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 21:51
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Lower CR doesn't necessarily mean you have more clearance. Surely easier to chuck in a GTi6 engine, loom and ecu. They are only

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 23:41
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
lower CR does not mean extra clearance at all, just means the dish in the piston is bigger, its not that much lower either, still 10.4-1, I think the cutouts are pretty much identical.

you wont "need" the oil spray bars.

yes the 6 does have a heatshield above the manifold on the head, and one on the bulkhead.

should run fairly well on the standard ecu, the gti6 one would need a few extra sensors and different coil packs fitting.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Oct 2009 at 00:19
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
The exhaust manifold is the first and best thing to do as the standard one is really restrictive- it is a knuckle scraping job but very worthwhile. The inlet and cams will make a much less pronounced change as the standard ecu limits the revs just as the 6 cams begin to produce their best. It will run fine but not give it's best.
People who know lots more than me say the 135 hp 2.0 head is a good design.
6 cams caused no clearance probs on my 1.8.
The 6 engine transplant would give more power but weighs quite a lot and the box restricts the lock.
Go for it the 306 is a fine handling car and with more power a quick one-you should see 20hp and a bit more with a map for your set up.

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 21st Oct 2009 at 01:00
tommy_306

Regular

Post #6
i tried fitting the '6' manifold to my xsi, but once it was in (after alot of swearing and cut hands !!) i found that it was touching/pressing up against and 'u' shaped coolant hose. i decided it wasnt best to leave it like that so i put the standard manifold back on.

how have people who have done this conversion got round this problem?? as id like to fit the '6' manifold!! i was thinking of trying to fabricate some sort of steel or ally hose to replace the standard rubber one. would this work ??

id love to just buy a gti6 but id lose money selling my XSI and then would have to shell out more money buying a 6.

MY RALLYE PROJECT
Posted 21st Oct 2009 at 18:25
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
jcphat wrote:
The exhaust manifold is the first and best thing to do as the standard one is really restrictive- it is a knuckle scraping job but very worthwhile. The inlet and cams will make a much less pronounced change as the standard ecu limits the revs just as the 6 cams begin to produce their best. It will run fine but not give it's best.
People who know lots more than me say the 135 hp 2.0 head is a good design.
6 cams caused no clearance probs on my 1.8.
The 6 engine transplant would give more power but weighs quite a lot and the box restricts the lock.
Go for it the 306 is a fine handling car and with more power a quick one-you should see 20hp and a bit more with a map for your set up.

Use the 5 speed box then! If you advance your 6 cams then the max torque comes in lower and stronger, over coming the rev cut issue Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 21st Oct 2009 at 20:52
paulchin

Junior User

Post #8
Thanks for the responses chaps - I have now sourced a manifold and cat, so we shall see what that does. (tommy_306: I will let you know if I solve the coolant hose problem!) Not sure now if fitting the inlet manifold is worth the bother if it won't do much - despite looking so much better than my current one! I just wonder whether the GTI exhaust and XSi inlet might not be so well matched as having both GTI ones. I will leave the cams for now too I think.

I know some of you have said that putting in a GTI engine is best, but there is no way doing that is easier than just replacing a manifold! Especially in my garage, where the car only just fits - both ways! And
Posted 9th Nov 2009 at 19:30
paulchin

Junior User

Post #9
adam b wrote:
If you advance your 6 cams then the max torque comes in lower and stronger, over coming the rev cut issue Thumbs up

PS - not quite sure what you mean by this?
Posted 9th Nov 2009 at 19:32
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Use GTi-6 coolant hoses for the heater.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 10th Nov 2009 at 00:29
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
On the 1.8 I was able to bodge/move the coolant hoses just enough to prevent contact. For safety I wrapped the manifold-before fitting!! It is a very good move indeed for underbonnet heat and hose safety. I also used heat protecting sleeving for the coolant hoses a really good move too. (Nimbus for suppliers were fine).
Just and exhaust manifold and cat change is worth the effort. Cams and inlet less so but less difficult to do. IMO the cams produce their best a bit high in the rev range on the standard ecu so a 6 one would be necessary to get the extra that the cams would enable.

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 10th Nov 2009 at 01:04
dan_xsi

Regular

Post #12
putting the 6 inlet mani on is worth it for the noise alone. make it sound like thunder lol p*ss easy to do as well.
Posted 10th Nov 2009 at 22:26
pugmister

Regular

Post #13
any one on her fitted there exhaust manifold on. iv got one but i need sum one to do it for me
Posted 19th Apr 2010 at 06:02
paulchin

Junior User

Post #14
Wow - blast from the past!

I finally fitted the 6 exhaust manifold at the end of January - took me literally all day (started at 11am, finished at 11pm). Yes, you need to drop the subframe, although I got away without removing it completely, just undo the steering column bolt and bottom ends of the drop links, then the rear of the subframe drops down just enough to get the manifold into the engine bay. Just wish I'd put the heatshield in before fitting the manifold to the head... Sad

And it does touch that U-shaped coolant hose - had to swap it out with a 6 heater union and pipe (blanking off the heat exchanger take-off in the process). So not as straight forward as you'd think.

Lastly, the combined manifold and cat seems slightly shorter in length than the XSi one, so getting the centre section to seal was a challenge. But I got there in the end.

Is is worth it? Well, yes - the engine really does take off now over 4,000 revs. Sadly, the XSi cams are a bit lazier than the 6 ones, plus the ECU limits the revs at just under 6,000 so you don't get the full 6 experience. When I next change my cambelt, I'll swap in some 6 cams, then fit an ECU (and coilpacks etc) when I can. I think fitting the exhaust manifold was by far the easiest part of the "6 conversion", so nice to have that part done and out of the way.

Insurance was quite happy too - just £11 extra per year for the manifold and wheels changed to cyclones (I think some later XSi's came with these as standard, but better declared than not I guess).

If what you're asking is for someone to do the job for you - never again, sorry! An experienced mechanic might only charge you 4 hours labour I guess?
Posted 19th Apr 2010 at 14:22
petert

Post #15
Be very careful fitting RS cams into an R head. As pointed out at the start of the thread, the RS cam has more lift. The RS head also has double valve springs, whereas the R springs are single. With 0.395" of lift, the R springs are almost at spring bind. Certainly an engine builder would never fit them that tight. If the springs do bind, you will say goodbye to the cams and lifters.
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 12:36