displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: A few engine issues/questions
jepo

Regular

Post #1
Right, firstly, please do excuse me if i sound like a total numpty when posting/asking questions! But I will cofess to knowing rather little about cars mechanically and to add to that, having had nothing but diesels since i passed my test until now, I know v little about petrol engines!

So, i've had the '6 for a few weeks now, and unfortunately i've noticed, and its developed some new, problems. Shock

The first one i noticed was that it tends to enjoy revving itself when i put the clutch in at low speeds when coming up to junctions etc. Not a lot, maybe just up to about 1400rpm and back down, but it does do it quite often. so what could this be guys?

As well as this, it has very recently decided its a good idea to cut out all together! once again this is at low speeds eg. turning at juncitons, into car parks etc, and i'm pretty sure again with the clutch in (no i'm not stalling it! Razz). but it does just die as if it has been stalled, and i just start it up again and its fine.

Assuming that i'm right in thinking the above might well be down to some sensors or the like, the next is the most worrying of issues - the noise its started making. can be heard most when revving ever so slightly, and is a horrible sort of whir/whine from around the cambelt area. And on top of that, when its been running for a while a ticking/clicking noise sometimes develops. I did try and get a vid to "show" the noise, and i shall try and upload it in the morning once i can get it off my camera. (altho i dont kno how successful it will b at demonstrating the noise)

I know about all the warnings to do with this engines and tapping/ticking, but also thought this usually lead to needing headwork done, which was all done only about 20k ago.

And last but not least, can anyone tell me if this connector is supposed to be unplugged or not? and if not what is it and where does it go?! cos i can't see anywhere that looks like its missing a plug...

sorry about the long post - any help or advice about any the above would be very greatly appreciated.

China Blue GTi-6 Yes
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 07:09
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
The revving and stalling will be the ICV / stepper motor. Have a search on this as there are loads of threads on this problem. A clean and an ECU reset might fix this or you may need a new stepper motor.

The whirring noise is most likely to be the bearings on the auxiliary belt idle pulley and/or tensioner. Spinning each pulley by hand with the belt off should show up which it is.

As for the unused plug - that's normal. It's just an unused plug Smile

Rich
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 07:29
jepo

Regular

Post #3
cheers for the reply rich. i shall look into all the things you've suggested. the icv/stepper motor thing doesn't sound too bad at least, so thats good!

as for the whirring, i initially thought it was from the aux belt somewhere, but on closer inspection it definitely sounds like its coming from inside the cambelt cover.

haha, and that unused plug - that is such a typical pug thing!

China Blue GTi-6 Yes
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 19:57