displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Replacing Ball Joints Guide?
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #1
Hello chaps, as above really. I've searched but can't find anything that provides a guide on how to do this. Is it easy to do? I guess they're a fairly cheap diy job?

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6 - Regretfully sold!
'89 Onyx Black 205 GTi 1.6

Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 01:31
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Very easy indeed.
1. Wheel off
2. Undo bolt behind the brake disc holding the wishbone and hub together 16/17mm
3. Undo 3x bolts holding on the balljoint to the wishbone. Star key top, 16mm under.

4. Refit is the reverse of removal
Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 01:53
d_p

Senior User

Post #3
what is the sign of broken ball joint ? as im thinking to replace all the suspension thingy

1998 GTi 6 - Black > Sold
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 02:37
rich-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Grab wheel and 12 and 6 o'clock and feel for play, Normally you get a knocking noise to accompany it and creaking at slow speeds turning the wheel.

I've just had a proper job with a pinch bolt on one of mine 50k siezed solid, Other sides exactly the same windygun wouldnt move the pinch bolt so figured i'd just leave that side til it went Laugh Its going to need some heat, Lots of heat Devil

Cool

RIP Pete Sims
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 02:41
d_p

Senior User

Post #5
rich-6 wrote:
Grab wheel and 12 and 6 o'clock and feel for play, Normally you get a knocking noise to accompany it and creaking at slow speeds turning the wheel.

I've just had a proper job with a pinch bolt on one of mine 50k siezed solid, Other sides exactly the same windygun wouldnt move the pinch bolt so figured i'd just leave that side til it went Laugh Its going to need some heat, Lots of heat Devil

many thanks, will have a check tomorrow. just feeling something not right at the front, hate it Angry

1998 GTi 6 - Black > Sold
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 02:43
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #6
adam b wrote:
Very easy indeed.
1. Wheel off
2. Undo bolt behind the brake disc holding the wishbone and hub together 16/17mm
3. Undo 3x bolts holding on the balljoint to the wishbone. Star key top, 16mm under.

Thumbs up

Cheers fella.

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6 - Regretfully sold!
'89 Onyx Black 205 GTi 1.6

Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 04:39
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
d_p wrote:
rich-6 wrote:

many thanks, will have a check tomorrow. just feeling something not right at the front, hate it Angry

I could tell mine was totally f*cked, as when cruising at motorway speed the car swayed as soon as there was a slight turn in the road. Felt like it was going to snap out of control, when i took it off the ball almost fell out of the socket...

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 16th Oct 2009 at 04:52
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
cahillscornerflag wrote:
adam b wrote:
Very easy indeed.
1. Wheel off

Thumbs up

Cheers fella.

By a ball joint folk (cheap) so you can seperate the ball joint from the hub after you have undone the bolts.
Posted 17th Oct 2009 at 21:10
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
dont forget to refit the ball joint heat shield!!

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 17th Oct 2009 at 21:19
wiz

Post #10
Just did this job on the ns joint.
Realy would have been easier with an extra pair of hands.
Be carefull when pulling the hub about - quite a bit of my new gear oil is now on the drive Angry
Posted 7th May 2010 at 23:43
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #11
adam b wrote:
Very easy indeed.
1. Wheel off

Thumbs up

Above works spot on 80% of the time. I've had wishbones in the past where the ball joints were held on with large rivets that need grinding off. If that's the case then you need to go buy the bolts and nuts before doing it.

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 7th May 2010 at 23:55
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
smighall wrote:
adam b wrote:
Very easy indeed.
1. Wheel off

Thumbs up

Above works spot on 80% of the time. I've had wishbones in the past where the ball joints were held on with large rivets that need grinding off. If that's the case then you need to go buy the bolts and nuts before doing it.

Don't the new joints come with the bolts?

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 8th May 2010 at 00:15
oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
no
,but the real issue here is the nylock nuts ,
you'll have to replace them with new ones.
no need to replace the bolts , if it's not damaged.

French military victories?
Did you mean French military defeats?
Posted 8th May 2010 at 18:05
wiz

Post #14
My Joint from ECP (lemforder) came with a complete set of new bolts. torx ones as original.
Problem i had was getting the bit and socket on them from above with the driveshaft in the way.
Trying to hold the tox bit above and the socket underneath and pull the wishbone down with two hands was difficult.
Posted 8th May 2010 at 18:52