displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: rumble from cv?
nxa

Regular

Post #1
Hi, Ive got a problem with what sounds like my inner cv joint on passenger side.
There is a rumble whenever I ease off the throttle.
Turning corners, accelerating and braking the driveshaft is quiet, but as soon as I lift the throttle in gear, bbbrrrrrrrrrWhistle

If I roll along in neutral (engine off), the sound is still there but very hard to hear.
I have jacked the car up and spun the passenger wheel by hand and I can hear the same rumble coming from the inner cv location.

Having never needed a new inner cv joint, I was wondering if this is the most likely culprit?
can I rule out a diff/gearbox problem?

btw, gearbox oil is fine.

thanks

Posted 15th Oct 2009 at 18:01
matt_gti

Senior User

Post #2
Even when jacking the car up and turning the wheel yourself you won't get the exact same sound as the weights and forces involved when driving are not there. If you can hear a noise coming from there then its best to fix it. Either replace just the inner CV of replace the shaft it's self. Might be worth pulling the old one out and filling with grease and see if that works first.

306 GTI-6
205 GTI-6 Project
205 1.6 GTI - RIP
205 1.9 TT - RIP
E39 535i - Daily driver
*Newest edition* E60 M5 5l v10 - The weekend car Smile
Posted 5th Nov 2009 at 23:12