displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Caliper queries
benn25

Regular

Post #1
Ok guys. Just bought some new front 266mm grooved drilled discs so i have some newbie caliper questions to be answered please.

1) Do i have to get specific calipers for these type of discs or will standard Lucas be sufficient?
2) Are calipers car specific or brake disc size specific incl. thickness of disc?
3) Could i fit say a ford 266 mm caliper to my discs.
4) Do the brake pads come in one size or not?

I may think of some more questions later but your answers would be much appreciated & any other relevant info i need to know please. Cheers.
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 03:59
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
why didnt you ask these questions before you bought the disks ??? Razz

Team allesclar ®

Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 04:00
benn25

Regular

Post #3
The discs are specific for the car - straight swap and i couldn't let anyone else take them from me... Cool... I was just reading a thread and some guy mentioned about calipers for drilled grooved discs, which id never heard of.... blah blah... got me wondering. Not looking to get any at the mo but if i happen to stumble across a set i want the info plugged in and to hand....
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 04:05
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Unless you are upgrading to better calipers you do not need to worry- a 6 set of calipers and pads would be the obvious step up for the 266mm xsi type. Make sure yours are in good nick and buy decent pads-drilled and grooved are prettier but not a great move unless they are high quality as they can be a backwards step if they are cheap ones.
Your questions
1 No special calipers needed
2 Car specific as the fitment including offset are at least model specific (306)
3. No, Ford ones may be entirely unsuitable
4 Pads are made to fit calipers- they do or don't fit. Some calipers-brembo for example may have different pad fitments for different car fitments. Manufacturers calipers made for a particular model fit a particular pad-although different friction compounds may be available.

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 04:29
benn25

Regular

Post #5
Okay cool. Thanks alot. I didn't realise the 6 calipers were different from xsi. Down the scrappy tomorrow then i think. Are there any obvious signs i should look out for to determine whether or not they are shagged.
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 04:35
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
6 calipers need 283mm discs, and with scrappy items unless you can try them fitted you are going to have to look very carefully for signs of corrosion/scoring on the pistons and for signs of leakage. Since your entire future and that of everyone else on the road is at stake if you can't be sure look for some from a trustworthy source.
If you find some get them at least looked over by a good mechanic.

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 04:42
benn25

Regular

Post #7
cool. thanks for the advice. I was hoping you weren't going to mention the size difference. One final question wise man. whats all this business then with putting 406 brembos on 266 discs. Full of it on the saxo forums. Surely they're all heading for disaster.
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 04:52