displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Car Wont Start
jbradders

Regular

Post #1
For the last month or so my car doesn't always start
(1.8 xs) it just turns over but after a couple of trys it fires up.
But this morning it would not start at all so i looked on here and the same problem seemed to be the crank sensor being a Sunday with nowhere open i called the AA he said the same thing crank sensor but didn't have one.Ive got a 2000 meridian 1.8 so i thought id take the crank sensor of that changed them over but still wont start?
Any help would be great
thanks
Posted 11th Oct 2009 at 21:09
fletch

Track Head

Post #2
Worn plugs, blocked fuel line, inertia switch, ECU fault (water ingress), fuel pump.
Posted 12th Oct 2009 at 01:48
jbradders

Regular

Post #3
Thanks, last night I replaced crank sensor with a new one and checked fuel lines pump is priming and got fuel.Tried to start it but still no luck. I've asked my manager at work as he used to run his own garage he said it could be the cam sensor or maybe even temperature sensor but to check if I got spark first before buying more bits that i might not need.So going to check that tonight and hopefully there's no spark.If no spark where is the cam sensor on these cars? If there is a spark what could this be?
thanks Jason

Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 16:15
jbradders

Regular

Post #4
Just having another good look on here and other problems seem to be with ecu or immobiliser is there any way to check these? Also when the AA came out he could not connect to car
thanks
Posted 14th Oct 2009 at 02:45
fletch

Track Head

Post #5
You could take Ecu out and prise out the panel to see if any water is swilling round in there.
Posted 14th Oct 2009 at 13:28
jbradders

Regular

Post #6
Hi i had th AA out again today to look at my car and asked him to check electrics.Ive got a permanent live to coil but his saying when cranking its not switching so no spark.He reckons it could be the ecu but could not check it as he did not know what was pin number 48 & 49 as not numbered. Could i take the ecu off my other car 1.8 meridian to check or not?
Thanks
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 19:35
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Only just spotted this, is this on my old car? Did you ever get it sorted?

Switching the ECU would work if you got it unlocked or swapped the transponders in the key, otherwise the immobiliser will kick in and stop it. If they're like the '6 ecu's then you can unlock them by unplugging them while the car's ignition is on on the car it's originally from.

Did that key make it to you at all? It's not been returned since we last spoke so I assumed you'd received it.

Guy

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 24th Nov 2009 at 16:47