displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: diagnosis please?
antn1.b

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
got a call yesterday from the mrs saying the cars broken and that she had been towed home. she explained what happened and and it sounded like a fuel blockage. (she said it had trouble starting then after about 100 ft it wouldn't rev above 1k.)

got home last night armed with a new fuel filter and popped that on checked that it was getting fuel and that was all fine there is no blockage air wise have checked that over and even checked the dreaded cam belt but all seems fine.

last night it wouldn't even start but this morning it fired up and idled fine but then just wont rev over 1k still, just judders and then cuts out. took a video to see if any one has any ideas what the most likely cause?

Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 14:06
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
MAP sensor maybe, check out the testing sensors FAQ and grab a multimeter.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 17:25
gingec

Regular

Post #3
Is the fuel pump relay dry and secured upright behind the ECU? I had exactly the same symptoms a couple of months ago. Lifted the relay, which had been dangling since I bought the car, and a faint buzzing stopped. Bit of duct tape and a cable tie and no issues since, it even fixed my recurrent poor idle that I had all but given up on fixing.
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 18:05
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #4
That could well be an blockage in the exhaust, possibly a collapsed catalytic converter.

Rich
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 22:35
antn1.b

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Rich E wrote:
That could well be an blockage in the exhaust, possibly a collapsed catalytic converter.

i will look into it although the cat was off just a month or so ago and as mine is bolt in bolt out i can see through it and it seemed in order then. a few things to check tomorrow afternoon now any way cheers for the advice. will report back Sunday
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 01:08
antn1.b

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
tried map sensor and fuel pump relay. with no joy yet to check the exhaust but there is plenty of flow at the back box when idling. would it have these symptoms if the cambelt had slipped? didn't seem to tap when it was running but now wont start! think its kicking up a fuss because i've ordered a new car three weeks ago.
Posted 4th Oct 2009 at 21:16
denwar

Regular

Post #7
maybe coil pack related !

denwar
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 02:35
spike_uk06

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
denwar wrote:
maybe coil pack related !

+1

Team China
Team Pirelli
Team Cracked Bumper
20th Nov 1999 she was born
Posted 5th Oct 2009 at 02:58
antn1.b

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
ok ive been busy at work and not had the time to look into this further for the last week or so. last night i gave the battery a charge and removed and cleaned the stepper motor. put it all back together this evening and it fired straight up idled fine and revved freely for around 30 seconds then went back to the same as before. it idled fine but spluttered and wouldnt go above 1k when revved then once turned off it wont start again.
the fact that it was fine for a short while after disconnecting the battery suggests to me that it is a sensor so going to have to get out there and start checking at the weekend. which are the most likely suspects? already tried a different map sensor and fuel relay cleaned the stepper new fuel filter and disconnected the exhaust just want to know where to look next.
Posted 14th Oct 2009 at 23:57
casey306

Regular

Post #10
I'm having similar symptoms to this and my engine sounds similar but after a few minutes mine clears itself. let me know your outcome.

R.I.P pete sims

0-60 6.4
Standing ¼ mile 14.9 on bold tyres
Posted 23rd Oct 2009 at 05:10
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
Throttle pot ok?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 23rd Oct 2009 at 05:12
antn1.b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
got my car back from the garage after 4 weeks!

the diagnostics didn't show any problems and no one knew what was what until last week they found a bad earth that was all good they had it running again but still with the same issue only now the diagnostics was throwing up the code for crank and cam sensors they both got changed then it fired straight up. bloody earth made a simple job take forever. the garage were doing it as a favour in their spare time but still took a fair few hours to sort. end result a nice healthy gti6 for 5 minutes Laugh my ass off
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 23:13