displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Clutch Judder
cabbymeg

Regular

Post #1
I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to see a definitive answer.

Recently my clutch started to judder when pulling off. gradually it has got worse. I swapped the engine mounts and clutch cable the other day, this has made gear changes much smoother and the clutch lighter but it has enahnced the judder (presumably because it's now being transferred to the chassis)

The clutch was replaced in my car last November and only 4k miles ago by Mr Clucth (by a previopus owner, in bristol). I took it back to the Mr Clutch in Derby yesterday to let them have a look, and because it's not been back to them for there 'adjustments' (what adjustments exactly? when there are no adjustable parts) they won't cover it fully under guarantee.

They are going to strip it on Tuesday to find the cause, and if it's a manufacturing defect, they will pay if not, it's up to me. The guy in there was trying to tell me that it could be 'worn out' and wouldn't be covered by warranty.

My question is, could you really wear a clutch out in 4,000 miles? And if not, what could have actually failed on the clutch?
Posted 28th Sep 2009 at 02:29
steve954

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
cabbymeg wrote:
I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to see a definitive answer.

Recently my clutch started to judder when pulling off. gradually it has got worse. I swapped the engine mounts and clutch cable the other day, this has made gear changes much smoother and the clutch lighter but it has enahnced the judder (presumably because it's now being transferred to the chassis)

The clutch was replaced in my car last November and only 4k miles ago by Mr Clucth (by a previopus owner, in bristol). I took it back to the Mr Clutch in Derby yesterday to let them have a look, and because it's not been back to them for there 'adjustments' (what adjustments exactly? when there are no adjustable parts) they won't cover it fully under guarantee.

They are going to strip it on Tuesday to find the cause, and if it's a manufacturing defect, they will pay if not, it's up to me. The guy in there was trying to tell me that it could be 'worn out' and wouldn't be covered by warranty.

My question is, could you really wear a clutch out in 4,000 miles? And if not, what could have actually failed on the clutch?
be prepared to pay mate, mr clutch are conning barstewards, the problem with your clutch is that it was fitted by them.

stevie
09 308 gt140 cc
03 octavia vrs

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, IT AIN'T A GTI6
Posted 28th Sep 2009 at 03:12
cabbymeg

Regular

Post #3
Thanks for that, but it doesn't really answer my problem.

What can actually fail on a clutch to make it judder?
Posted 28th Sep 2009 at 16:29
cabbymeg

Regular

Post #4
Anyone? Could do with some info ready for tomorrow.

Chris
Posted 29th Sep 2009 at 01:50
cabbymeg

Regular

Post #5
All sorted. They removed the old one and couldn't find any defects, but also no evidence of wear and tear so was recplaced under warranty!

So nice to drive now!
Posted 29th Sep 2009 at 22:56