displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Lumpy Idle/Reving When Idle
itchytrigafinga

Senior User

Post #1
Hi,

Got a problem with my 6. Recently when i have started the car, it rev's randomly, and then idles at a really lumpy idle slightly above where its normally surposed to idle.

Occasionaly when im stopped in traffic it revs itself upto about 2k rpm and then back down to 1, and then back up to 2k again. Here is a vid of what its doing: Clicky

Anybody know which sensors i should check?
Posted 29th Sep 2009 at 17:37
bulldogs

Senior User

Post #2
Yeah the icv .When you remove it ,it will be cloged up with carbon ,,,Engine degreecer does the trick ...Read the faq ..God luckWink
Posted 26th Sep 2009 at 21:10
bulldogs

Senior User

Post #3
After reset the ecu and give it a caning.......should be ok then Wink
Posted 26th Sep 2009 at 21:12
itchytrigafinga

Senior User

Post #4
bulldogs wrote:
After reset the ecu and give it a caning.......should be ok then Wink

Ok, will do cheers! Thumbs up
Posted 26th Sep 2009 at 21:21
itchytrigafinga

Senior User

Post #5
SO i cleaned the ICV and it didnt make any difference. However when i was cleaning it i noticed some of the inlet manifold gasket has dissapeared? Some of it is missing.

Started the car and there is a faint hissing sound that can be heard near where it looks like some of the manifold gasket is missing.

Ordered a new gasket, is there anything i need to do in regards to fitting it? Obviously i will clean both the inlet hole rings on the head and the manifold with brake cleaner to get all the gunk off, Someone suggested i put a thin layer of greese between the gasket and the inlet manifold, should i do this?

Cheers
Posted 29th Sep 2009 at 17:35
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
i wouldnt, grease and air dont get on well together, but i dont know much, sure someone will come and tell me that im wrong.
Posted 29th Sep 2009 at 18:31
itchytrigafinga

Senior User

Post #7
I just need to know if there is anything i need to use to "seal" the gasket, or weather i should just line it up and bolt the inlet manifold to the head. Dont want to do it wrong, ruin a gasket and have to do it again lol...
Posted 29th Sep 2009 at 22:19
mad_dave23

Senior User

Post #8
I had the same problem with mine, changed map sensor, ICV, Lambda and tps before the problem was cured!

You seeing any other problems? sluggishness? etc?
Posted 30th Sep 2009 at 02:27
itchytrigafinga

Senior User

Post #9
mad_dave23 wrote:
I had the same problem with mine, changed map sensor, ICV, Lambda and tps before the problem was cured!

You seeing any other problems? sluggishness? etc?

Nope, only other problem is the response is a bit jerky. It seems to go like stink though, as if its running rich with either to much fuel or to much air.
Posted 30th Sep 2009 at 02:38