displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: random fault
puglover Banned!

Post #1
I started up a fresh build high boost engine the other day.

I had a few problems with the oil pressure switch to begin with and so tried again after that and it would turn over fire up but not carry on running.

I checked things over for a day or 2 and spotted a loose positive wire in maxi fuse box from battery. Went out one morning tightened it up and tried it, it fired straight off and ran. Bingo i thought. The revs climbed up so i turned it off. Tightened some clamps and stuff went back tried again started up and idled ok and seemed ok until saw power steering leak.

turned it off went to bed.

Fixed problem with joint day later tried again and same problem fires but wont run.

Its probably important but the lambda sensor isnt plugged in, ive changed the crank sensor, map and ICV. Also its on grade 8 plugs.

I know a standard car will/should run with the above but its not for me. But for some reason it did and has run.

Could this be ECU self learning after say 7 attempts to start?? i may have turned the power off to it at some point after it was running cant remember.

Or basically does it need a lambda to know wtf is going on? due to compression changes etc?

Or is it more likely to be something else.

Maybe battery is knackered as its been stood doing nothing for a few month. Turns car over well enough though.

Some other dodgy sensor?

Will leave it until i get a lambda but im just curious as to what it could be.

My earths are all tight too. All vacumb pipes seem sound. Maybe something blocked up but i dont think so. Sad

But one other niggle the handbrake cable light is not coming on.

Posted 24th Sep 2009 at 19:12
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Plugs are too cold for running an engine in, they may well be fouled. What injectors are fitted? Is it running on a standard ECU map?

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 24th Sep 2009 at 22:24
puglover Banned!

Post #3
standard injectors standard map

just looked at plugs now they are abit damp with carbon Doh
Posted 24th Sep 2009 at 23:59
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Try putting some standard plugs in.

The cooler 8's won't be getting hot enough to reach there self-cleaning temperature until you start using the engine normally.

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 25th Sep 2009 at 04:00
puglover Banned!

Post #5
changed the plugs today still no joy Sad

maybe i should leave the plugs out let it dry up in there? the plugs were not looking to good really just lots of moist black stuff and smelt of petrol.

my only hope is lamda : worriedsmiley

makes sense though if it is that. It will be running on a pre-set default map for no lambda feedback and no self adjustment.

engine sounds fine though now its been up to just over 2k revs. I heard it get oil pressure and just smoothen up it was a pretty nice feeling LOL

balls just read the lambda is not used on start up takes time to warm up. Sad
Posted 25th Sep 2009 at 19:34