displaying posts 51 to 56 of 56

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: 2.1 engine build
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
thanks, ive been reading up on having the standard ones lightened, yes there is plenty of horror stories when they havent been done right but looks as ive done proberly then it isnt a problem. maybe im wrong about the weight i quoted but people like miles have done lightened standard ones before and think there a good job.

have been thinking about spending the extra and getting the billet one but ive heard that the dowel doesnt line up very well and the teeth can wear out?? not sure how true that is?

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 18:17
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
I think the first batch of Rich's were from a softer grade so the teeth eventually came off, because of this the next batch were made from a different grade which as far as i know has sorted the issue.

The flywheel in mine is from the original batch and still going strong. I had no problems with the dowel, the only hard part i found was getting the gearbox back on but that was nothing to do with the flywheel (It was me on my own trying to lift it into place whilst the engine was still in the car, and the first time i had ever done a clutch LOL)

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 18:25
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #53
rallyeash wrote:
thanks, ive been reading up on having the standard ones lightened, yes there is plenty of horror stories when they havent been done right but looks as ive done proberly then it isnt a problem. maybe im wrong about the weight i quoted but people like miles have done lightened standard ones before and think there a good job.

have been thinking about spending the extra and getting the billet one but ive heard that the dowel doesnt line up very well and the teeth can wear out?? not sure how true that is?

Not had any problems with mine, I'm on the revised harder grade of steel and had no issues with fit etc. All of Richards products are very well developed and of an excellent standard of finish, he also is very good on backup if anything does go wrong. How much will it cost to have the standard one milled down by the way?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 18:44
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
ahh cool, was putting me off a little (why i was thinking standard route) but if that issues been cleared up than probably worth the extra

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 18:47
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #55
rallyeash wrote:
ahh cool, was putting me off a little (why i was thinking standard route) but if that issues been cleared up than probably worth the extra

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 6th Oct 2009 at 18:54
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #56
Mines weighed at 4.3kg. Had it lightened when all the engine work was done so couldnt say exactly what it costed.

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 00:04

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]