displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Coolant Temp Issue
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Lately the coolant temp gauge seems to get 'stuck' at 70 degrees even after driving for a long time. Then it will suddenly go to over 80 degrees. I suspect the temp sensor is faulty which is the blue sensor correct?
To add to the this when I first start the car the rad gets hot on the right hand side as you face the car so the stat is letting water through. I can't work this out as I changed the stat.

Please help!

Although it's no longer available new, it's worth trying to get hold of a good example second-hand. As GTi's get tubbier and cooler, it's nice to remind yourself of why insurance companies hate hot-hatches so much.-Top Gear on the 6 Apr '01. Black 6
Posted 18th Sep 2009 at 18:02
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Fairly easy to work out - the thermostat is leaking! There isn't any other way hot water can get to that part of the radiator.

I'd get it back apart and have a look but I imagine you'll have a broken seal on the thermostat. Sort that first and then see what the temperature gauge is doing.

Rich
Posted 18th Sep 2009 at 18:15
rikky 🦔

Post #3
yep had this a few times and its always been perished rubber seal on the thermo

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 18th Sep 2009 at 18:20
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Rich E wrote:
Fairly easy to work out - the thermostat is leaking! There isn't any other way hot water can get to that part of the radiator.

I'd get it back apart and have a look but I imagine you'll have a broken seal on the thermostat. Sort that first and then see what the temperature gauge is doing.
Fitted a new genuine stat and seal and the right hand side of the rad is still getting hot. Crazy Crazy The thermostat housing cracked when I put it back together but I glued it and there is no water escaping from the housing itself. I started the car up and the water temp went up got to just over 80. Both fans came on for a bit and went off. Temp never really goes above this temp. Any ideas???

Although it's no longer available new, it's worth trying to get hold of a good example second-hand. As GTi's get tubbier and cooler, it's nice to remind yourself of why insurance companies hate hot-hatches so much.-Top Gear on the 6 Apr '01. Black 6
Posted 26th Sep 2009 at 16:05
black 6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Anyone?

Posted 28th Sep 2009 at 03:16