displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Diif Casing leak
bainsey6403

Junior User

Post #1
Anybody resealed a diff casing, anything i should know before undoing things, i.e nothings gonna drop out or need re setting befire it goes back together??
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 18:13
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #2
Might be an idea to find out the torque settings of the bolts that hold the cover on as its ally and easy to strip a thread. If not, just do them up with a ¼" drive ratchet as it won't have much leverage and that should mean you are less likely to strip a thread. Apart from that evrything else is retained inside unless you pull the shafts out. Bit of blue RTV will do nicely Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 22:40
bainsey6403

Junior User

Post #3
Thinking about it i had another look over it today, my gti-6 is an r reg -1997, i changed the gearbox cuz it was shot, the gearbox i changed it for the drain plug was in a slightly different place, are there any differences between the phases, are the driveshaft stubs diffferent lengths,because the short 1 doesn't look like its in properly, tried pushing it in further but to no avail, it drives perfectly.
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 23:06
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
bainsey6403 wrote:
Thinking about it i had another look over it today, my gti-6 is an r reg -1997, i changed the gearbox cuz it was shot, the gearbox i changed it for the drain plug was in a slightly different place, are there any differences between the phases, are the driveshaft stubs diffferent lengths,because the short 1 doesn't look like its in properly, tried pushing it in further but to no avail, it drives perfectly.

im prety sure the passenger driveshaft i bought from gsf a while back is a bit shortr, id say about 3-4 mm.
i know for certain that there are some differences on a 206 as my mate had a load of trouble with a gearbox he got from a scrapyard, with the driveshafts been slightly short.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 00:15